Republican legislator to propose new voter ID bill

With the attempt to require voter IDs in 2011 still tied up in the courts, a Wisconsin legislator plans to introduce a new bill that includes a voter ID requirement with exceptions, in addition to other provisions regarding election and campaign finance law.

The bill, to be introduced by Rep. Jeff Stone, R-Greendale, would not only require voter IDs at polling places, but would also shorten time before election day for in-person absentee voting on nights and weekends. Voter IDs would not be required for those who file a sworn statement saying they cannot obtain an ID card or have a religious objection.

Although the voter ID law was passed, two Dane County circuit court judges issued separate injunctions on the law in 2012 due to concerns it violated parts of the state’s constitution. 

Stone said his bill seeks to address those concerns of judges and Wisconsin residents through by providing exceptions to the voter ID requirement. Stone added many of his provisions stem from concerns of election clerks and their ability to facilitate an accurate and easy-going election.

“In the years we expanded [voter ID bills], we want to address concerns that the senior citizens in facility that can’t go to polls, or issues with poor people, or students using student IDs to vote,” Stone said. “In Dane County, courts have been concerned about people who are not able to gain ID because they can’t get the paper certificate, so we have created a way for people to confirm who they are.”

Mike McCabe, Wisconsin Democracy Campaign executive director, said his organization is opposed to all aspects of the Voter ID law and the bill, adding that the bill is simply an attempt to further the Republican party’s power, despite waning public support.

“This is an extension that was done with redistricting to fashion political parties to win the most seats even if they don’t win the most votes,” McCabe said. “This bill is the next step because it makes it more difficult for certain groups of voters to cast a ballot.”

McCabe said while the bill does not impact the majority of voters, it inconveniences like senior citizens and students.

Dylan Jambrek, government relations director for the United Council of UW students, said the bill will specifically hurt the student population, especially since students have high levels of residential mobility and find it difficult to prove residency.

Jambrek added that shortening of times for in-person absentee voting will also make it difficult for students to vote because of work and class schedules.

He said that such tightened restrictions would inconvenience many, adding that the Legislature should find ways to encourage voting, rather than creating ones that discourage it.

Stone said the shortening of in-person absentee voting levels the playing field for all Wisconsin counties.

Additional provisions in the bill include allowing political groups to keep donors secret as long as they avoid “magic words” such as “vote for” or “vote against” in issue ads, and allowing corporate monetary donations to independent political groups.

Stone said these elements of the bill seek to align Wisconsin statues with the U.S Supreme Court case, Citizens United vs. Federal Election Commission.

“The Supreme Court said corporations have the free speech rights just as people do,” Stone said. “It clearly defines what is political speech because there is a difference between issue advocacy and political speech.”

However, McCabe said the ruling from the 2010 case, which allowed for corporate spending in elections, is unpopular with Wisconsin residents.