Federal job figures show Wis. leads nation in losses

With job creation taking the forefront in state politics, a federal report revised state figures on job growth to show Wisconsin is leading the nation in job loss in both the public and private sectors.

According to a report released Tuesday from the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics, Wisconsin lost an estimated 12,500 public and private jobs between January 2011 and 2012, the most of any state in the country. The nation as a whole added jobs during the last 17 months, but Wisconsin was one of only six states to experience consistent losses.

The new data comes at a pressing time for Gov. Scott Walker, who faces a likely summer recall election. His 2010 campaign focused on job creation and he promised to create 250,000 new jobs in the state

According to Walker’s spokesperson Cullen Werwie, Walker followed through on his promises to the best of his abilities.

“We are a losing football team that is trying to take the team to the Super Bowl,” Werwie said. “It’s going to take a couple seasons to get there, with some wins and losses, but hopefully in a few years, we reach our goal.”

Werwie said in the three years before Walker entered office, 150,000 jobs had already been cut by the previous Democratic administration. He added the state faced overwhelming tax increases and budget deficits that Walker worked hard to eliminate.

He also said compared to other states, Wisconsin is establishing long-term prosperity.

“You look at the budget deficits of California and Illinois, which have been called a death spiral of unsustainability,” Werwie said. “They are facing multi-billion dollar deficits, which will have a negative long-term effect on their economies. We have a strong financial footing.”

Andrew Welhouse, spokesperson for Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, agreed Walker’s policies will help create jobs in the near future.

He said the governor improved the business climate in the state by implementing essential tax credits for businesses providing jobs.

Welhouse also said the Legislature’s opposition to bills limiting industries has hurt job creation. He cited the mining bill as an example, which was recently voted down by the Legislature.

“When you talk about specific numbers, we still have challenges facing our state,” Welhouse said. “Our largest business association says that recalls are bad for business, but we are moving in the right direction.”

Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca, D-Kenosha, said in a statement Walker has not shown leadership on some of his biggest initiatives.

He said in the statement the legislative session is nearly over, and Republicans have shown no desire to support legislation on job creation.

University of Wisconsin economics professor Steven Deller said in an email to The Badger Herald the policies of the Walker administration may have actually hurt the business climate. He also said the revisions were substantial, and the state does not look healthy from a jobs perspective based on the report’s figures.

“I think that the aggressiveness of the Walker administration along with the Republican leadership in the Assembly and Senate has actually hurt the business climate,” Deller said. “Businesses prefer certain levels of certainty in terms of public policies, and wild political swings (left or right) create a lot of uncertainty. …. Businesses hate uncertainty.”