Push for hearing on collective bargaining put in spotlight

The possibility of restoring collective bargaining rights to Wisconsin public employees was reopened Wednesday after a Democratic senator called for a statewide review of the budget repair legislation, in light of a recent vote in Ohio against instating a similar law.

According to the Legislature’s website, Sen. Bob Wirch, D-Pleasant Prairie, introduced the bill in October and referred it to the Committee of Labor, Public Safety and Urban Affairs.

The head of the committee, Sen. Van Wanggaard, R-Racine, responded with a statement that said the collective bargaining reforms had already been significantly debated in the Assembly.

“Arguing that the people’s voices haven’t had a chance to be heard is ludicrous,” he said.

Wirch said in a statement that Ohio voters showed support for workers’ rights and Wisconsinites should have the same chance.

He said Republicans refused to listen to protesters outside the Capitol in the spring and consequently, Wisconsinites should have the chance to make their voices heard.

Andrew Welhouse, spokesperson for Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, said Ohio’s situation is different from Wisconsin’s.

Welhouse said he would not comment further on the proposed bill or the vote in Ohio.. Gov. Scott Walker’s office could not be reached to comment as of press time.

Rep. Kelda Roys, D-Madison, one of the co-sponsors on the bill, said she supported the bill because she believes collective bargaining is important to the health and safety of workers throughout Wisconsin. Roys said the Ohio vote was a victory for unions.

“Unions are one of the few voices that can stand up to corporate power and represent the interest of workers and middle-class families,” Roys said. “I think it’s more important than ever that we have those voices able to represent the people in their workplaces and in democracy.”

Barry Burden, University of Wisconsin political science professor, said Wisconsin does not currently have the ability to reject laws through voting like Ohio does.

He said Wisconsin has the ability to conduct recall elections, which Ohio does not have. Burden said recall elections are just a different tool for changing legislation.

Burden added using recall elections to reverse collective bargaining legislation would be more complicated because it would concern two different political personalities instead of a specific piece of legislation.

He also spoke to the similarities between the states, saying both are Midwestern, industrial states where jobs are the number one concern and where Republican governors won elections in 2010.

Political science professor and Badger Herald adviser Donald Downs said the voting results in Ohio were significant because it was the first time labor has won a victory in this political battle.

He said the vote would likely inspire hope and increase mobilization in other labor organizations throughout the country.

Sen. Tim Carpenter, D-Milwaukee, a supporter of the bill, released a statement Wednesday that proposed an amendment to the state constitution that would make collective bargaining rights a constitutional right.

Downs said even if a few Republicans wavered on the collective bargaining issue, the amendment and the proposed bill would be difficult to pass as long as Walker is in office.