Legislature begins Walker’s special session on jobs

On Thursday, the Wisconsin state Legislature officially kicked off a special session on jobs called by Gov. Scott Walker, whose claims of bipartisan motives drew question from some Democratic representatives.

Members of the Senate and Assembly briefly convened Thursday morning to “gavel off” the special session on jobs called by Walker, Andrew Welhouse, spokesperson for Sen. Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, said.

The meeting was adjourned following the introduction of the session, he said.

The special session will run concurrently with the regular spring session of the Legislature and will include bills authored by both Democrats and Republicans. Floor meetings on the special session will convene on the same day of the next regular session meeting of the Legislature in mid-October, Welhouse said.

Walker issued the executive order calling for the special session, dubbed “Back to Work Wisconsin,” in order to keep the Legislature focused on the creation of jobs, according to a statement from Walker.

In the statement, Walker said the special session offers certainty to employees and state employers that officials are committed to creating more jobs. He said the session also makes his campaign promise to create $250,000 a more realistic possibility.

“My administration remains focused on job creation and this special session includes legislation from both sides of the aisle that will make it easier for employers to create 250,000 private sector jobs,” Walker said in the statement.

While the special session was mandated by Walker, Welhouse said the session gives more flexibility to the Assembly and Senate. For instance, members of the Legislature can call floor meetings prior to the next scheduled meeting in mid-October.

In the Democratic weekly radio address Thursday, Rep. Barca, D-Kenosha, said the Democratic representatives appreciate the governor’s inclusion of several bills proposed by members of their party. However, he said the overall effect of the session will strongly favors the implementation of Republican legislation.

Barca said sixteen of the bills included in the special session favor the interests of Republican allies and special interests groups instead of the middle class and unemployed in the state.

Barca also said the bills promoted by Democrats show a clear desire to develop work for Wisconsinites.

“Our bills demonstrate Democrats are focused on helping create jobs for Wisconsin workers,” Barca said. “The contrast could not be more obvious,”

Among the bills authored by a democratic representative is Senate Bill 171, which would give an income tax exemption for the cost of a transportation pass when paid by an employer.

Assembly Bill 97, also sponsored by Democrats in the Legislature, would increase the number of manufacturing grants to technical college applicants which the state would distribute.

While in the radio address Barca questioned Walker’s motivations for the session, he said it would remind members of the Legislature and Wisconsinites that the main focus is creating jobs.

“It’s long past time we roll up our sleeves and focus like a laser on creating jobs to provide economic security, expand opportunities and reverse the damage the Republican agenda has inflicted on Wisconsin’s middle class families,” Barca said.