Statewide tests show charter schools lagging behind public options

Students enrolled in voucher schools performed the same or worse than Milwaukee Public School students in statewide education testing, further dividing supporters and opponents of the expansion of the school choice program proposed by Gov. Scott Walker.

The test results of the Wisconsin Knowledge and Concepts Examination were released Tuesday by the Department of Public Instruction. The results showed 47.8 percent of MPS students scored proficient to advanced in math, and 59 percent scored proficient to advanced in reading. Of the students in the voucher program, 34.4 percent scored proficient to advanced in math and 55.2 percent proficient to advanced in reading.

Although the school voucher program was implemented two decades ago, participating schools were not required to take the same achievement tests as public school students. This is the first time voucher school student test scores have been published. 

The results are already being questioned for their fairness in comparing achievement of MPS and private schools in the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program.

Michael Ford, School Choice Wisconsin Vice President of Operations, said the test results do not show what impact an individual school had on the students’ achievement since they arrived at a voucher school. The only definite interpretation that can be made from the test results, Ford said, is the schools with the highest scores may just have the highest achieving students.

Ford said though opponents of voucher school expansion say the test results show the MPCP is unsuccessful, their assumption is incorrect because the scores do not track achievement over time.

“We’ve already seen people try to use this argument against the expansion of the school choice program,” said Ford, who countered that if an MPS student drops out of high school and a voucher student graduates, the MPS students’ test scores are of no significance – what matters more is one student has a high school diploma.

He added the DPI plans on phasing out the WKCE tests in favor of more comprehensive tests in 2014 because the tests were problematic in nature.

Proponents of traditional public school education insist the test results show the changes to public education in Walker’s budget proposal are misguided.

While cutting aid to public schools, Walker’s budget would terminate enrollment caps for voucher schools, expand the number of schools eligible for the program and repeal income eligibility requirements to receive state-funded tuition.

Wisconsin Education Association Council President Mary Bell said the governor should not give money to schools that appear to be doing worse than public schools.

“Our state’s leaders should take a cue from these test scores and enhance the current public school system, not threaten it with proposed cuts,” Bell said.

Gasper said he agreed DPI funds should not be spent on programs that are not producing results.

Although the test results muddle the controversy over the voucher program, both MPS students and those at voucher schools clearly scored below the state average.

“We need Milwaukee children, regardless of school, to dramatically improve their achievement,” Gasper said.