Republican leadership appoints Johnson to 3 major committees

rojo_MG_FILEPHOTO
After unseating former Democratic Sen. Russ Feingold, Sen. Ron Johnson will serve on the Senate’s Appropriations, Homeland Security, Budget and Aging committees.[/media-credit]

Sen. Ron Johnson’s recent appointment to several powerful committees Thursday has raised surprise and skepticism from some, while others have said his appointments are proof Republican leadership believes the senator could be a significant asset.

Senate Republicans announced the committee assignments for the 112th Congress on Thursday, assigning Johnson, a Republican from Oshkosh, to the Committee on Appropriations, Committee on the Budget, Special Committee on Aging and the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

In an e-mail to The Badger Herald, Johnson said his 31 years of experience balancing budgets and setting priorities in the private sector is precisely what Washington needs.

“I think my background as both an accountant and a manufacturer gives me a unique perspective on the spending problem in Washington,” Johnson said. “The Budget Committee and the Appropriations Committee are ground zero when it comes to forcing the federal government to adopt realistic and sustainable spending levels.”

It is relatively uncommon for a freshman senator to be appointed to such sought-after committees, said Charles Franklin, a UW professor of political science.

“Any senator would like to be appointed to powerful committees,” Franklin said. “The fact that Senator Johnson got assigned to such powerful committees is a better-than-average outcome.”

Johnson’s role as a fiscal conservative, highlighted during his campaign, combined with his assignment to Appropriations and Budget might be a sign of Republican support for Johnson’s message, Franklin said.

He added that Johnson’s experience as a long-term businessman and accountant makes him as qualified as any other senator.

However, Johnson’s political inexperience leaves some doubt, UW political science professor Barry Burden said.

“His background is a little unusual. He had never been to DC before he was elected,” Burden said.

Burden pointed to the numerous open slots on the Appropriations Committee as possible reasoning behind Johnson’s appointment.

Although Johnson’s gravitation toward foreign affairs was surprising, Burden understood the senator’s interest in serving on committees requiring business or accounting experience.

Johnson is optimistic.

“I am looking forward to taking a hard look at the federal budget and working with those in Congress who have been trying for years to rein in the out-of-control spending,” Johnson said.