Wood pleads not guilty to felony OWI charge

woodattorney_BB
Rep. Jeff Wood, I-Chippewa Falls, and his former lawyer during a legislative hearing held in spring of 2010. Wood could face six years in jail if convicted.[/media-credit]

The legal troubles of embattled Rep. Jeff Wood, I-Chippewa Falls, continue after Wood pled not guilty to a felony Operating While Intoxicated charge last week.

Wood, 41, pleaded not guilty in Sparta Thursday and according to court documents represented himself after waiving his right to a preliminary hearing.

The lawmaker has apparently been representing himself at multiple OWI hearings after his previous attorney Tracey Wood – who is of no relation to the legislator – withdrew from Wood’s case in Marathon and Monroe counties.

Since entering the Legislature, Wood has been arrested three times under suspicion of OWI, the first time only one month after winning re-election. Prior to entering state politics, Wood was also convicted of two drunken driving convictions when he was in his 20s.

Although Wood has been arrested for OWIs three times between December 2008 and December 2009, Monroe County prosecutors changed his charge to a felony fifth offense in October after he was convicted of two of the OWI charges.

Wood pleaded no contest to third-offense operating under the influence in Columbia County and no contest to fourth-offense operating under the influence in Marathon County. As a result, prosecutors dropped his third-offense misdemeanor OWI charge and upped it to a felony.

He faces up to six years in jail and a $10,000 fine if he is convicted of the felony.

Wood was sentenced to 60 days in jail for the OWI conviction in Marathon County Oct. 13, following the 45 days he served in jail earlier this year for the OWI conviction in Columbia County.

He received work release privileges for both jail sentences.

The Assembly entertained a motion to expel Wood but ultimately chose a lighter punishment and censured him instead.
Wood began political life as a Republican but became an Independent before the 2008 election and began working with Democratic Assembly members. Several Democrats worked to block the expulsion resolution.

Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, introduced the resolution and was Wood’s most vocal opponent in the Assembly, calling Wood’s behavior “dangerous” in a statement.

Wood did not run for re-election in November. His term ends Jan. 3.