Doyle replaces sexting DA

Gov. Jim Doyle has replaced the former Calumet County District Attorney who stepped down amid a flurry of controversy after allegedly “sexting” an abuse victim.

Doyle announced Friday Jerilyn Dietz, who is herself a survivor of sexual assault, will fill the position of Ken Kratz, who resigned in September after several women came forward alleging Kratz sexually harassed them.

“Calumet County has been through a difficult period,” Doyle said in a statement. “Jerilyn Dietz is a strong prosecutor who will restore the community’s faith in the District Attorney’s office and ensure that victims of crime know they have a strong advocate on their side.”

The first was Stephanie Van Groll, 26, who accused Kratz, 50, of sending her 20 inappropriate text messages over three days while he was prosecuting her ex-boyfriend for attempting to strangle her to death.

Kratz has since stepped down and is receiving treatment for an undisclosed medical condition at an undisclosed location outside of Wisconsin.

Dietz has been assistant district attorney in Manitowoc County since 2005 and was previously an assistant district attorney and special prosecutor in Kenosha County.

Dietz said in a statement that she became a prosecutor because she was once the victim of sexual assault.

“When I saw what the women of Calumet County were facing from the person sworn to protect them – when I saw a District Attorney victimizing women – I knew I had to apply for this position to restore faith in this office and find justice for other survivors,” Dietz said in a statement.

Dietz’s appointment comes after the Wisconsin Department of Justice refused Wednesday to appoint an attorney to represent Kratz in Van Groll’s lawsuit against him.

Van Groll filed a federal lawsuit against Kratz alleging he violated her rights and discriminated against her.

Doyle also refused to appoint an independent, taxpayer-financed lawyer to represent Kratz.

Following Doyle’s appointment of Dietz, multiple special interest groups in Wisconsin came out in support of the decision.

The Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault, which initially called for Kratz’s removal from office after news broke that Kratz was “sexting” abuse victims, said appointing Dietz was a positive step in the right direction.

Dietz will begin her term Dec. 19. It is due to expire Jan. 7, 2013.