Asian carp trade could be illegal in United States

The U.S. Congress is officially cracking down on the pesky Asian carp after the U.S. Senate approved an Asian carp prevention bill Thursday.

The bill, introduced by Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., would add the bighead Asian carp to a list of injurious species that are illegal to ship or import to the U.S. Live Asian carp are currently banned from being imported within the U.S., but the bill would prevent dead fish being sold for use in restaurants and other forms of cuisine.

The ravenous and hearty Asian carp can grow up to four feet and weigh 100 pounds. They have gained notoriety in the Midwest as a threat to natural waterways.

The fish are making their way up the Mississippi and Illinois rivers toward the Great Lakes, potentially threatening the $7 billion per year fishing industry and jeopardizing the ecology of the waters.

“Asian carp pose a real, clear and growing threat to the Great Lakes, but this bill will add to the arsenal of tools we have to combat them,” Levin said in a statement. “The devastating effects Asian carp could have on the Great Lakes are not fully known, and I want to make sure they are never realized.”

The bill now needs to be approved by the House before importing and shipping the carp becomes illegal.

Wisconsin has been involved in other endeavors to stop the Asian carp invasion, most recently by joining a six-state lawsuit to try to force the closure of several Chicago locks some argue allow the carp to enter Lake Michigan.

The U.S. Supreme Court rejected a request to settle the lawsuit in April, leaving the states to battle it out among themselves.

The Obama administration has also been involved in battling the carp, and unveiled a five-year $2.2 billion plan in February to clean up the Great Lakes. The plan includes a “zero tolerance” policy for Asian Carp and other invasive species.

While much has been made of the carp’s potential for destruction, there is no proof that large-scale populations of carp have taken over the Great Lakes themselves.

So far, no live Asian carp have been found in Lake Michigan.

During September testimony in the Asian carp state lawsuit, biologist David Moy said he had found recent DNA samples of carp in Lake Michigan waters near Chicago. However, Lodge said he thought the DNA most likely came from live carp.