State legislator sentenced to 60 days in jail, two years probation for OWI

wood_BB
Rep. Jeff Wood, I-Chippewa Falls, and his lawyer at a legislative hearing last spring. Wood received his fourth OWI conviction Wednesday. Wood has already served 45 days in jail for a different OWI charge.[/media-credit]

A Marathon County judge sentenced Rep. Jeff Wood, I-Chippewa Falls, to 60 days in jail and two years probation Wednesday for his fourth offense Operating While Intoxicated conviction.

Along with the maximum jail sentence, Wood’s driving license was also suspended for 30 months, and Circuit Judge Jill Falstead ordered Wood to pay a fine and undergo an alcohol assessment, according to online court records.

Wood also served 45 days in jail this year for another OWI charge, for which he was granted work-release privileges, and also has another OWI case pending in Monroe County.

Wood also received work-release privileges for his Marathon County sentence.

Wood’s Marathon County OWI conviction was changed to a fourth offense charge after his OWI conviction in Columbia County in April. The charge was also reduced to fourth offense operating with a controlled substance from fourth offense operating under the influence.

Wood was convicted after pleading no contest to the charges, changing his plea on the OWI charge from a previous “not guilty,” according to online court records.

In the course of the Marathon County trial, Wood also lost his attorney, Tracey Wood, who is not related to the legislator. Tracey Wood cited fundamental differences in the way the two wanted to pursue the case, and also dropped out of Wood’s Monroe County case.

According to online court records, Wood represented himself at his latest trial.

Despite the jail time, Wood may have lucked out somewhat due to recent legislation that makes a fourth offense OWI a felony – Wood was charged before the new law went into effect in July.

Between December 2008 and December 2009, Wood was charged with three OWIs, the Marathon County charge falling second in the series of arrests.

Wood also has two drunken driving convictions under his belt from before taking legislative office.

Wood said in 2009 he would not be seeking reelection. His term in office ends in January.

A resolution to expel Wood failed in the Assembly, and he was censured instead.

Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, was one of the Assembly’s most vocal advocates for expelling Wood and introduced the resolution.

“The State Assembly failed the people of Wisconsin by letting Rep. Wood continue his service despite his dangerous conduct,” Nass said in a statement.