Committee passes youth job program

A Legislative committee approved a bill Monday that would reinstate the Wisconsin Conservation Corps, a program that would give conservation and environmental jobs to underprivileged youth.

The Joint Finance Committee voted 11-4 to reinstate the program, which was discontinued in June of 2003 due to budgetary concerns and a lack of focus in the project.

The WCC is a program that would focus on giving young people aged 18-25 an opportunity to have life and job experiences while working with the state’s natural resources and parks. The program would require that 50 percent of the youth have no secondary education and be below 200 percent of the federal poverty line.

Tia Nelson, executive secretary of the Board of Commissioners of Public Lands, said she is personally excited to see the WCC renewed, claiming it is more important than ever.

Nelson added there are many challenges facing public land issues in Wisconsin, and these challenges will give opportunities for youth to learn job skills and explore the options for furthering education in either technical or private schools. One such challenge Nelson mentioned is the ending of invasive species that are harming local crops and animals, a challenge that requires many volunteers and a lot of time.

“I have spent a lot of time with this program and I am very glad to bring it back, it enables us to help out public land and provides opportunities for youth who may not have had such options in their future,” said Sen. Fred Clark, D-Baraboo, a major supporter of the bill and the program.

The WCC, however, is not a new program. It ran successfully up until 2003, which, according to Clark, was the result of the program simply drifting from their core mission and the lack of a real strong foundation.

“There just wasn’t a strong sense for employing kids anymore,” Clark said.

With the reinstatement of the WCC, Clark hopes to see a stronger board of directors, a partnership and leverage investment from non-profit organizations, and having the program distributed evenly throughout the state, providing opportunities for Wisconsin youth statewide.

Clark said funding will come from federal grants and federal organizations, including Americorps, an organization that fosters civic engagement through service and volunteering.

Additional funding will come from the Department of Administration and non-profit organizations within the state.

An amendment to the bill caps the amount of money the Secretary of the Department of Administration can appropriate to the program at $400,000.

Furthermore, Rep. Robin Vos, R-Racine, expressed his concern for future budgetary issues for the WCC during the committee meeting.

“The state was barely able to find the $250,000 needed to aid small business owners; where are they going to find this $400,000?” Vos said.

Despite the issues involving budgets, Jennifer Giegerich, Capitol Liaison for the Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters, is very excited to see WCC reinstated.

“This program is beneficial for everyone, the state’s natural resources and public lands, and youth who, without the program, might not be able to see the opportunities available to them,” Giegerich said.