ASM to vote on transgender sanctuary legislation Oct. 25

Campus legislation contains resolutions to reduce punitive punishment, affirm transgender rights

The Associated Students of Madison will vote on the recently introduced transgender sanctuary legislation Wednesday, Oct. 25.

This legislation, introduced by ASM Oct. 12, aims to protect transgender, non-binary and two-spirit students from potential punitive laws.

The proposal calls on the University of Wisconsin Police Department to limit the enforcement of potential legislation related to punitive policing of trans and non-binary students. The proposal would also prevent University Health Services from using segregated fees to pay for the reporting of license reviews for gender-affirming health care providers.

Campus organizations host discussion panel on land acknowledgments

ASM Equity and Inclusion Committee Chair Emmett Lockwood said an amendment set to be introduced Wednesday would prevent UW Recreation and Wellness from using segregated fees to discriminate against trans athletes. Lockwood said this would prevent RecWell from funding a team that does not allow the participation of transgender athletes.

Lockwood cited the need for this proposal to ensure no gap in sanctuary space following the legislation passed earlier this summer.

“Our legislation built upon the legislation that was passed this summer by Dane County and Madison declaring Dane County a sanctuary county and Madison a sanctuary city,” Lockwood said. “So on the heels of those pieces of legislation wanting to make sure there was not a gap with our campus community not being a sanctuary space for transgender, non-binary and two-spirit individuals.”

Lockwood noted there is increased anxiety amidst the passage of transphobic legislation around the country, in addition to the limits placed on gender-affirming care and transgender athletes. ASM’s goal is to ensure that UW students feel protected and to enforce that students deserve to feel safe on campus, Lockwood said.

The ASM legislation also calls on Chancellor Jennifer Mnookin to declare UW’s campus a sanctuary for transgender, non-binary and two-spirit individuals. Lockwood said this part of the proposal would help ensure students would be met with the support that has thus far been absent on campus.

“I think her [Mnookin] declaring support for transgender, non-binary and two-spirit students will show that those students matter and they are a part of our campus community.”

Lockwood said from his own experiences as a transgender student and hearing from other transgender students, this kind of support is lacking on campus.

SSFC appoves Badger Catholic, Wunk Sheek budgets, hears The Black Voice, Effective Altruism proposals

In a written statement to The Badger Herald, UW professor of history and gender and women’s studies Finn Enke said the public declaration of sanctuary can increase awareness, but that it is an ongoing practice.

“I don’t think sanctuary is a thing, like you declare it then it just is,” Enke said. “Sanctuary is, rather, a practice. For UW, this concept can be as tangible and as meaningful as people are willing to make it … It must be practiced as long as individual groups are targeted for hatred, exclusion and violence.”

According to Lockwood, the ASM proposal would not only formally declare UW’s commitment to protecting transgender rights, but it would affirm that transgender and non-binary students, faculty and staff are essential to UW campus and should have equal access to campus resources.

ASM will vote on this legislation Oct. 25 at the Student Activity Center.