Getting Amazon packages around campus to get a whole lot easier

UW stands to earn $100,000 from pickup center
Joey Reuteman

The University of Wisconsin is on track to strike a deal with Amazon creating a central location on campus for package pickup.

The retail company is looking to open a package pickup center at the UW’s Red Gym. The UW System Board of Regents Business and Finance Committee reached the five-year agreement to open up a pickup center with Amazon Pickup Points LLC in a meeting Thursday.

The pickup point will be called Amazon@UWMadison and, according to the Wisconsin State Journal, will occupy 2,000 square feet on the first floor of the Red Gym.

This will be Wisconsin’s first Amazon pickup center and will allow students, faculty, staff and Madison residents to access online orders, Deborah Bass, Amazon spokesperson, said in an email to The Badger Herald.

Regents approve $42.5 million budget focused on developing workforce, college affordability

“As the first Amazon pickup location in the state of Wisconsin, Amazon@UWMadison will serve as a physical location to conveniently pick up and return Amazon orders,” Bass said.

The five-year contract with Amazon will also benefit UW by earning the university a guaranteed $100,000 commission annually. The Board of Regents, however, expects the actual commission will be higher.

The Wisconsin Historical Society may need to approve the addition of the center as the Red Gym is a national historic landmark.

Additional details will be shared with campus and the public as plans are finalized, Bass said.

The pickup location is set to open next spring.