SSFC increases Badger SPILL budget to promote use, awareness

Wisconsin Black Student Union presents their first budget proposal
Cadence Bambenek

At Thursday’s Student Services Finance Committee meeting, representatives approved Badger Supporting Peers In Laidback Listening’s budget and heard a budget proposal from the Wisconsin Black Student Union.

Badger SPILL Decision

SSFC approved Badger SPILL’s increased budget of $46,843.10 in a 9 to 0 motion with 2 abstentions.

Badger SPILL is a virtual peer-to-peer support network for University of Wisconsin students.

SSFC debates condoms, hears budget presentation from Badger SPILL

SSFC representatives deliberated over the exact amount to allocate to Badger SPILL to accommodate its growth in use over the past year.

The increase of $2,465.00 was made to Badger SPILL’s advertising budget as well as toward the creation of a second vice president of confidentiality for the group. Representatives believed the increase would allow Badger SPILL to support more Badgers across campus.

The $2,465.00 increase brought Badger SPILL’s total budget to $46,843.10 for fiscal year 2017.

Wisconsin Black Student Union Hearing

The committee also listened to Wisconsin Black Student Union’s budget proposal.

WBSU strives to provide an environment conducive to addressing the needs of black students, by creating a sense of belonging among African American students and building cultural competency on campus, WBSU President Marquise Mays said. 

WBSU also holds monthly events throughout the year, more during Black History Month, Mays said. In addition to funding advertising, events and executive positions of the organization, WBSU representatives asked the committee for travel funds for four of their members to travel to the annual greater Black Student Union conferences.

Mays said the conferences provide the members the opportunity to engage and learn from black students from other campuses, as well as to demonstrate the leadership skills which they have acquired as students of UW.

SSFC will look over ASM’s internal budget for approval on Monday and determine WBSU’s budget.