Obey: Negative campaigns could hurt Democrats in recall election

[media-credit name=’Megan McCormick / The Badger Herald’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]falk_MM[/media-credit]

As a recall primary approaches and supporters of Democratic gubernatorial candidates begin to criticize one another, a Democratic insider has warned attacks between supporters could damage the party in a possible recall election against Gov. Scott Walker.

On Wednesday, a flyer circulated among members of the Wisconsin Education Association Council criticized gubernatorial candidate Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, claiming he used the changes in the repeal of the collective bargaining rights for public employee unions to raise premiums on city workers. The flyer also claimed Barrett has not offered a school funding plan.

WEAC has endorsed former Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk for governor and said in the flyer Falk has put education first and consistently supported increasing funding for public education.

However, both Falk and Barrett spokespeople said the campaign must remain positive.

Barrett spokesperson Phil Walzak said Barrett has always wanted Democrats to stay focused on defeating Walker. He said Barrett’s campaign will continue to have a positive message and focus on why he is the best candidate.

Scot Ross, spokesperson for Falk, said Falk has run a positive campaign and focused on the issues, even amid attacks from her opponents. He said despite recently released polls showing Falk far behind in the polls against Barrett, Falk is closing the gap. 

Still, in a press conference call Wednesday, former Congressman David Obey, who has endorsed Barrett for governor, warned inter-party negative campaigning could harm the chances of whichever Democrat is chosen in the upcoming primary to face Walker in a recall election.

Obey said Democratic candidates for governor should concentrate on attacking Walker and his policies, not each other.

“I was disappointed to see [media reports] indicating one candidate intends to spend the next week attacking Barrett because they are behind in the polls,” Obey said. “Not being united would be the equivalent of a suicide pact. … We have to be careful about what we say about each other.”

He said it does not help for the gubernatorial candidates to attack one another for a two weeks and then turn around and tell voters to support a candidate they had attacked.

However, University of Wisconsin political science Professor Dennis Dresang disagreed with Obey about
the effects of negative campaign advertisements and its effects on the gubernatorial recall.

“Most people have made up their mind how they feel about Barrett and Walker,” Dresang said. “That’s such a standard kind of campaigning it won’t make a difference. [Walker’s] being attacked as well.”

Dresang also called Obey’s remarks about a “suicide pact” as a bit of an exaggeration. He said ideally candidates should not be attacking one another but that it would not have a huge difference in the
election.

Secretary of State Doug La Follette and Sen. Kathleen Vinehout, D-Alma, are also currently running for the Democratic nomination in the primary. The primary is currently set for May 8, and the recall election for June 5.

-State Legislative Editor Mike Kujak contributed to this article.