Challengers test field as early campaigning begins

Following months of polarizing political turmoil, Republicans and Democrats
are gearing up for what both parties see as a chance to regain the nation’s attention for the 2012
presidential elections.

While President Barack Obama can rely heavily on his campaigning skills, University of Wisconsin political science professor Donald Downs said his low approval ratings do not bode well for the possibility of reelection.

Obama’s low approval ratings are directly correlated to the poor condition of the economy, said Downs, who is an adviser to The Badger Herald.

Obama is scheduled to give a speech Sept. 8 where he is expected to unveil his plan for job improvement and growth.

Whether or not the economy drastically changes for the better before the election on Nov. 6, 2012 may greatly contribute to Obama staying in office, he said.

“It’s a dangerous time for President Obama,” Downs said. “Historically, presidents with his current
approval rating have not done particularly well in the election.”

Chairman of UW College Republicans Johnny Koremenos said undecided voters, especially students who
will be entering the job market in the next few years, should question whether their ability to find and
keep a job has increased during Obama’s first term.

Koremenos said both parties are to blame for the high unemployment and large federal debt of
the last three years based on their reluctance to cut spending and entitlement programs.

“There’s a lot of optimism for the 2012 election,” Koremenos said. “[Republicans] are becoming more
and more confident what happened at the state and federal level last fall was not a coincidence.”

Erin Goulding, spokesperson for UW College Democrats, said the cause of the weakened state
of the economy is more complex than spending. She said the continuation of former President George W. Bush’s tax
cuts and corporate irresponsibility are just some of the many factors which contributed to the stagnant
financial situation.

The financial burden caused by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have also caused much of the country’s
debt accumulation over the past decade, Goulding said. Obama should be given more time to
solve the problems he inherited, she added.

Goulding said she is hoping for a growth in jobs and broad economic improvement to help the
president’s chances of reelection.

On the opposing side, the Republican nomination appears to have three front runners, Downs said,
but recently one appears to be edging ahead of his opponents. Texas Gov. Rick Perry seems to have taken
a considerable lead over former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Minnesota Congresswoman
Michele Bachmann, he said.

Perry’s popularity among evangelical Christians and other groups who generally vote for strictly fiscal
and social conservative candidates was expected, Downs said. However, the substantial lead Perry has
gained from more moderate Republicans is surprising.

Downs said nothing is certain this early in the campaign, and Perry’s current popularity could fade
during the primary race. However, Downs said Perry’s broad appeal among conservatives considerably
helps his chances of winning the nomination.

Some of the GOP front runners have come out swinging with their own job improvement plans – former Utah governor Jon Huntsman released his job improvement plan which would include changes to corporate tax rates, and Romney is expected to release his plan in the near future.

Former Alaska governor and 2008 vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin is
expected to make an announcement regarding her decision to run for the presidency soon.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.