New proposal at Platteville would allow gun storage on campus

University of Wisconsin-Platteville has announced a proposal that would allow students that live on campus to store their firearms on campus as well.

Recent concern was raised over the dilemma some UW-Platteville students faced when storing their firearms. There were limited options for safe storage and with a high demand for better locations, the campus police devised a plan, according to UW-Platteville spokesperson Barbara Daus.

The proposal, written and advertised by the campus police of UW-Platteville, would allow students to store their firearms in a storage facility in the campus police station. Students would have 24-hour availability to their firearms and be able to check them out any time, for any amount of time and be able to take them anywhere on campus, Daus said.

Daus said there is not yet a timeline for when the proposal would be approved.

According to the proposal, firearms include all forms of weaponry, spanning from rifles and handguns to hunting bows and paintball guns. All weapons would face a rigorous inspection and have multiple copies of identification numbers taken as well to ensure maximum safety, she said.

Students will not be able to check out their weapons if they are under the influence.

“Our campus is in a rural neighborhood and with hunting being a major hobby, having sporting weaponry be stored by campus police is good for the community and student body,” Daus said. “We’re trying to play into the student body as well as keep a secure campus.”

Daus said while there have been a few suggestions by students about gun control, the proposal was made as a proactive approach by the campus police.

The guns would have to go through a strict security screening and though they would be available for access any time of day, proper owner’s and hunting permits are required for checkout. The facility in which the guns would be stored will be maximum security and on 24- hour surveillance by the UW-Platteville campus police, Daus said.

“We do know that a number of schools nationwide have campus gun control plans instated and that is where the campus police got their inspiration from for this project,” she said. “We believe it will work out and be good for both the school and the community.”

While gun control policies are changing at UW-Platteville, UW remains firm on its rules with all forms of weaponry.

“Dangerous weapons of any kind are strictly prohibited all places on campus,” UW Assistant Police Chief Dale Burke said. “It has been that way since I have worked my 30 years for the department and it had been long before that as well.”

Burke said the UW Police Department does have a storage facility for registered firearms on the edge of campus, but under no circumstances are those allowed on campus. Violation of these rules would result in immediate dismissal from housing, and if caught outside housing would result in a $515 ticket and further investigation.