Stabbing results from dispute on Gilman

A 17-year-old girl was arrested after a fight involving a knife late Thursday night, in one of two recent criminal incidents, according to Madison Police Department reports.

After a 911 call from the victim, a 22-year-old woman, police arrived on the scene to discover the knife had been dropped, the report said.

There was ongoing tension between the two women as they left a house party and relocated to a parking lot on the 400 block of W. Gilman Street.

While the victim claimed the young woman confronted her with a knife and tried to stab her, the suspect claimed otherwise. According to the report, the suspect said the victim had the knife and cut her, explaining the wound on her arm that required several staples.

Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the victim claims the suspect has been harassing her for some time over an issue involving an ex-boyfriend. DeSpain added officers believe the right person was charged for wielding the knife.

The suspect was arrested with a felony charge of Second Degree Recklessly Endangering Safety, according to the incident report.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he would be much more concerned about the incident if it was a random act of violence.

“We do not have felony arrests occurring on a daily basis; stabbing in the downtown area is very rare indeed,” Verveer said. “The major crime problems remain unchanged but any violence we do have downtown is almost always alcohol related late at night.”

The report did not indicate whether alcohol was involved or if either party was a student at the university. DeSpain said the suspect did not have a campus address and seeing as she was 17 and Madison schools had Friday off, she most likely attended high school.

Another recent crime incident occurred last Tuesday afternoon after a 53-year-old man left his car unlocked on Ann Street and was robbed of a large sum of Iraqi money, according to the incident report.

“The victim had taken his own money and gone to a local bank and traded it for foreign currency thinking it would be an investment opportunity,” DeSpain said.

The report indicated the victim believed by the end of the Iraq War the money would increase in value.

The man had cashed $2,400 for 2,225,000 Iraqi dinars, according to the report.

DeSpain said occasionally there are cases where people park cars on the street and leave the doors open. Criminals will check down the street to see if any cars are unlocked and steal valuable content from the car. In these cases, officers tend to find the rest of the locked cars remain untouched.

“A lot of times we see young, opportunistic criminals who will go down the streets looking for open car doors,” DeSpain said. “The guy just left his car door unlocked and thefts from auto crimes occur on a fairly regular basis.”

No suspects have been confirmed for this case.