Council to vote on Edgewater

The Edgewater redevelopment project hangs in the balance today as City Council will vote on whether to overturn a city commission’s decision to not sign off on the project.

Scheduled for 6:30 p.m., the vote is a delay from the previously scheduled meeting last Tuesday, postponed due to the hazardous blizzard conditions. This gave an additional week of discussion and lobbying for the project.

Ald. Bryon Eagon, District 8, said he has been inundated with e-mails and comments from people all over the city. He has received a few e-mails from students, he added, and has talked with many students to gauge their support.

On the amount of e-mails and voicemails he has received, Eagon said to characterize it as a lot “would be an understatement.”

“It’s been an amazing level of public participation,” Eagon said.

According to Ald. Mark Clear, District 19, three alders will be absent from the meeting — Ald. Judy Compton, District 16; Ald. Thuy Pham-Remmele, District 20; and Ald. Michael Schumacher, District 18.

In order for developer Hammes Co. to be allowed to seek other city approvals with the current plans, 14 alders will need to vote to overturn the Landmarks Commission veto of granting the plans a certificate of appropriateness and variance.

The commission, when reviewing the relevant ordinances of building in the Mansion Hill Historical District, vetoed the plans because it found them to not be in visual accord with the surrounding area.

The absences affect the decision as 14 votes are required to overturn the decision regardless of if enough alders are at the meeting.

Eagon said he plans on voting to overturn the commission decision and grant Hammes Co. the chance to continue with the project. He added students like the creation of the jobs and the terrace offering greater access to the lake.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, has said he will vote to uphold the commission decision. He said legally, he does not see how the decision can be overturned given the ordinances in place.