Special session may be called

Leaders from both houses of the state Legislature sent notices to fellow legislators, telling them to keep their schedules open Dec. 16 for a possible debate on drunken driving reforms.

Assembly Majority Leader Rep. Tom Nelson, D-Kaukauna, sent an e-mail Wednesday to other members of the Assembly, informing them of the possibility of an extraordinary session being called to discuss certain bills, according to Nelson spokesperson Ryan Nilsestuen.

“Rep. Nelson, as a courtesy to members, sent an e-mail asking them to keep their calendars free for the possibility (of an extraordinary session),” Nilsestuen said.

As to what bills will be taken up if the session is called, Nilsestuen said no Assembly agenda has been decided as of yet.

On the Senate side, Carrie Lynch, spokesperson for Senate Majority Leader Russ Decker, D-Schofield, confirmed the Senate session Dec. 16 would deal with drunken driving reform.

The drunken driving reform bills, authored by Rep. Tony Staskunas, D-West Allis, and Sen. Jim Sullivan, D-Wauwatosa, hit cost issues when they first came before the Legislature in February and May, respectively. The measures were laid aside for further work on funding methods.

“It looks like we may be in session on the 16th on drunk driving,” Lynch said in an e-mail. “Sen. Sullivan and Rep. Staskunas are close to being done with [the measures].”

Rebekah Sweeney, spokesperson for Assembly Speaker Mike Sheridan, D-Janesville, said although the agenda has yet to be set, Nelson has previously said he would not be opposed to calling an extraordinary session to vote on the drunken driving bills.

Sweeney said ultimately it is the duty of the Assembly majority leader and the Senate majority leader to call the extraordinary session.

“This e-mail is not a notice of session, just an early heads-up that one may be called,” Sweeney said.

Kimber Liedl, spokesperson for Senate Minority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, made it clear that Senate Republicans are open to the reforms.

“Drunken driving is a pressing issue in Wisconsin, and it’s something that needs to be looked at,” Liedl said.