UW-La Crosse approves increase in initiative fees

Students from the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse voted to increase their academic initiative fees in an effort to preserve student programs and faculty positions.

According to Joe Gow, chancellor of UW-La Crosse, student turnout for the vote was higher than expected. The majority was in favor of an increase, with 84 percent of voters supporting an increase of $45, and 77 percent supporting a total increase of $60 per year.

“We were thrilled to see so many students participating. Over 3,400 students voted, which counted for about one-third of the entire undergraduate student and graduate student body,” Gow said. “We think that it’s very powerful and indicative of how engaged students are with issues. We still need to go to the Board of Regents and get their approval of the fee increase. This will take place in fall of 2010.”

He added if the increase in tuition gets approved by the UW System Board of Regents, the additional funds will mainly be used to maintain programs in academic advising, cultural diversity and student research. Library hours are going to be extended, and other campus services such as violence prevention and disability resource services will also be supported.

In the past, students at UW-La Crosse voted on another tuition program known as the Growth, Quality and Access Initiative. There was also a vote on the name of the eagle mascot, and the vote on how to use student fees in building a new stadium, according to Gow.

Brad Quarberg, UW-La Crosse spokesperson, said the result was not surprising.

“There was a forum held last Friday on campus in which student leaders and the chancellor talked about the issue and students could ask questions about it. The general tone was students supported the initiative,” Quadberg said.