Wis. leaders to celebrate veterans

The Madison Veterans Council will host its annual Veterans Day celebration at the Capitol today to honor all the men and women who have fought and died for our country throughout the various wars.

The event will kick off with a concert by the Veterans of Foreign Wars Band Post 1318 at 9:30 a.m., and the Wisconsin Army National Guard’s 32 Infantry Brigade Combat Team will display the colors.

Starting at 10 a.m., a number of speakers will take the podium to honor veterans, including Gov. Jim Doyle and U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis.

“Obviously this is a day to honor the service of our veterans who have done more and gone beyond the call of duty and also honor families of those serving,” Doyle spokesperson Lee Sensenbrenner said.

Jerilyn Goodman, spokesperson for Baldwin, agreed the event is a great chance for people in the area to pay tribute to veterans who have served them.

“Congresswoman Baldwin has been proud to attend this event every year that she’s been in Congress,” Goodman said. “It’s an opportunity for her to publicly thank veterans and families for the sacrifices they have made for us all.”

Goodman added Baldwin accompanied Doyle to Fort Hood, Texas, Tuesday to pay tribute to the victims of the recent shooting.

Executive Director of veteran-advocacy group LZ Lambeau Don Jones and U.S. Army Reserve Brigadier General Marcia Anderson, who is also vice chair of the Wisconsin Board of Veteran Affairs, will also speak at the event.

Wisconsin Department of Veteran Affairs Secretary John Scocos said Veterans Day has personal meaning for him, as he recently completed his second tour in Iraq and his father served in World War II.

“Veterans Day — for me — is to honor national veterans for their sacrifice and be proud to be citizens of a nation made great by military personnel,” Scocos said. “This is a reflective day for all veterans and hopefully all citizens.”

In particular, Scocos said the recent tragedy at Fort Hood demonstrates the need for Americans to come together and appreciate the armed forces.

Scocos added he encourages all citizens to attend the event at the Capitol as well as the many other Veterans Day events across the state.

This event is particularily important to the Capitol, as seven senators and 22 Assembly members have fought in various wars, including Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, who is currently serving in the Middle East, according to the Legislative Reference Bureau.