Campus given building award

The necessary, albeit sometimes cumbersome, efforts of the university to improve and expand campus buildings have not gone unnoticed, as the University of Wisconsin was named “Developer of the Year” by Wisconsin Builder Magazine.

One of the reasons UW received this recognition is that while most of the private sector has been slowing down its spending, UW has continued and even increased spending. The economic downturn has allowed for the university to reach tremendous values with construction firms and employ thousands of Wisconsin workers, according to Alan Fish, associate vice chancellor for facilities, planning and management.

“We are delighted to be recognized for our efforts, and this will help to keep us a strong, productive university well into the future,” UW spokesperson Dennis Chaptman said in an e-mail to The Badger Herald.

Fish said UW currently has over $600 million invested in research and development of current projects, and every project is being done by a Wisconsin firm so all jobs are staying in the state.

Only four years after the university began developing its “Master Plan” to extensively change the face and function of UW facilities by 2020, the plan has already seen major success, according to Fish.

“Already a third of the buildings planned in 2005 [in the Master Plan] have been built, are under construction or have been approved for construction,” Fish said.

The Master Plan was developed with contributions from staff, students and the community as the university looked into the future of campus developments. UW wanted to add more density to the campus, as well as protect and potentially add green space, Fish said.

Since UW is locked in a certain area by lakes and the surrounding community, the Master Plan looked to test the boundaries of the space available within the current campus. Along with urban development, green space was set aside — over 300 acres in Lakeshore — and new green space was created, such as the lawn in front of the Kohl Center, according to Fish.

Another component of the Master Plan has been the restoration of some landmark buildings on the campus, making them more energy efficient. Some of these buildings include Chamberlin Hall, the 1912 Biochemistry Building and Sterling Hall, Fish added.

“We’re protecting and renovating 100-year-old buildings and giving them another 100 years of life,” Fish said. “But we’re also rebuilding poorly-constructed buildings from the 1960s, such as Ogg Hall and the Peterson Building, which were very energy insufficient.”

With the success of the plan, UW has another $800 million set for designing and planning new ventures such as an expansion of the Natatorium and a new Arts building, Fish said.

“UW-Madison’s construction activity is one mark of a dynamic university that is looking to the future. We’re fortunate to have state policymakers and generous donors who recognize that,” Chaptman said.