Church to erect new apartments

Church_JS
Principal of Knothe and Bruce Architects Randy Bruce discusses plans for the new apartment structure.[/media-credit]

Holy Redeemer Catholic Church held an informational meeting for its parishioners Monday night about a recent proposal to convert a portion of the church’s parking lot into a multi-family apartment complex.

Parishioners raised questions and voiced concerns on the overall feasibility of the project, including parking congestion and the effect on parish life.

Randy Bruce, principal of Knothe and Bruce Architects, gave a brief overview of the project and fielded questions throughout the meeting. In closing, Rector Msgr. Kevin Holmes took an informal vote to gauge the attendees’ enthusiasm for the proposal. Out of the 27 who voted, 20 were skeptical or fully opposed, while seven approved of the project.

Mark Landgraf, a diocesan finance council member and president of Landgraf Construction Inc, brought the proposal to Holmes with the proposal being announced Sept. 13 in a church newsletter.

Landgraf has since partnered with Silverstone Partners, Inc. in developing plans for the five-story, 46-unit apartment complex.

The plan provides for four units at regular market price rates and 41 units at cheaper rates under the federal Low-Income Housing Tax Credit Program.

“There is not a good quality level of affordable housing units in downtown Madison,” Landgraf said. “If you look around, there are expensive student housing apartments and condominiums. If Madison considers itself a community that helps people, then let’s help people.”

Bruce acknowledged that the project depends on receiving tax credit.

“Without tax credit, we would not be able to build the project,” Bruce said.

Loss of parking was the greatest concern among those who opposed the proposal. With an already limited number of parking spaces, parishioners argued the project would only exacerbate the problem.

“Parking is the key to being able to access Mass and the other activities that go on here,” parishioner John Lupoli said. “I have had multiple problems parking here and even trying to park at the lot during Mass.”

Although Bruce assured attendees the parking lot across the street could accommodate the 44 to 46 parking spaces being displaced and an underground parking lot for residents would be built, many were not satisfied.

Others argued there is not enough of a demand in Madison for more housing, making the project unsustainable. Bruce responded that while there may be a surplus of condominiums and student housing, downtown Madison still lacks high-quality affordable housing.

“We believe there is a subset of Madison residents who would prefer to live close to State Street in affordable housing,” Bruce said.

Despite a generally negative response from meeting attendees, Landgraf remains optimistic about the future of the proposal.

“I feel that with additional sessions of education and additional information that will be brought forward, people will see that this is a very valuable asset,” Landgraf said.

Meetings regarding the proposal will be held Sept. 28 for neighborhood leaders and Oct. 13 for all neighborhood residents, after which the proposal will need the approval of the Planning Commission. If the proposal is approved, construction will begin in late 2010 and is expected to be completed in 2011.