DA, MPD voice concerns over budget

PublicSafety_LK
District Attorney Brian Blanchard and law enforcement officials discuss limitations the new budget places on their departments.[/media-credit]

Local police and fire representatives joined the Dane County District Attorney’s Office and city leaders Sunday night in a listening session to speak about the 2010 budget and how it will affect public safety.

The major concern came from the District Attorney’s Office, which is facing a 6 percent budget cut.

“We are facing the most difficult budgets that we have ever seen,” Dane County Supervisor Dianne Hesselbein, District 9 said.

According to Dane County District Attorney Brian Blanchard, the 6 percent cut could cause the loss of three social workers or secretaries.

Blanchard said there are already about 254 open cases per employee and large delays in the justice system are a result. He expressed concern that losing these employees would dramatically increase the delays.

“What that means is a reduced quality of justice,” Blanchard said. “The more time a prosecutor has per file, the more time they have to do justice.”

Madison police are also concerned a decreased budget will restrict public safety.

“I don’t think that people really understand the impact of being understaffed or under-resourced at the DA’s Office,” said Police Chief Noble Wray.

His concern extends to the Department of Corrections as well, as he stressed all levels of the justice system need to be properly funded.

“Very rarely do we arrest someone that is repeatedly involved in burglaries, robberies or drug offenses that is not already on probation,” he said.

As part of the Madison Police budget, the department plans to reassign six positions to civilianized police positions that will focus on traditional police duties.

The Middleton Police Department is also being forced to hold the line on spending. According to Lt. Noel Kakuske of the Middleton Police, they will be working with the same budget as 2009.

“That is easier said than done given the structural increases that are going to come no matter what we do,” he said.

The Middleton Police are planning cuts to their training budget, overtime, tuition reimbursement and several other programs. They will also see a reduction in vehicle maintenance.

According to Dane County Sheriff Dave Mahoney, the department has stopped shipping inmates out of the county and has saved about $3.5 million as a result.

The money will be allocated to programs such as electronic monitoring.

“It will be the tightest budget ever seen by the sheriff’s department, but will ensure the quality of life that Dane County has come to expect,” Mahoney said.

Mahoney points out Dane County has seen a reduction in accidents resulting in injury or death, but he warns a reduced budget will put these successes at risk.

“The result should not be reducing our police officers, or deputy sheriffs or the fire department,” he said. “We should not be reducing because of our successes.”