Dancing marathon to start next week

Wisconsin students are invited to participate in the Wisconsin Dance Marathon, an “all-night party” that will take place at the University of Wisconsin Feb. 27 to raise money for American Family Children’s Hospital.

Organized by UW students, the event will take place from 9 p.m., Feb. 27, until 9 a.m., Feb. 28, at the Shell, 1430 Monroe St. The all-night event will help raise money and awareness for both patients and families of AFCH.

“We have a ton of different acts that are going to be there. The UW Band is going to be there, Bucky, the Madhatters and many other student organizations will be there as well,” said Wisconsin Dance Marathon spokesperson Ellen Branden.

Branden emphasized there are many ways to get involved in the dance marathon, including starting your own team, joining a team or volunteering.

Currently, the dance marathon has raised $28,000 in donations, but marathon officials hope the amount will reach $100,000 by the end of the event.

Branden said every participant must raise $100 to partake. Otherwise, students can pay $20 at the door to dance for two hours, enjoy the live music, free food and entertainment.

Either way, every dollar goes to helping Wisconsin’s youngest Badgers, Branden said.

“For us, it’s not a big deal about how many students we can get for a full 12 hours, when there’s kids in the hospital that can’t even do everyday kid things. The idea is to have everyone just going the whole event because they can,” Branden said.

The dance marathon will be the first of what organizers plan to make an annual event on the UW campus.

In addition to dancing the night away, dancers will get a chance to meet children and families from AFCH.

AFCH opened in August 2007 to replace UW’s Children’s Hospital. It provides a care environment responsive to the specific needs of children. The hospital includes a pediatric intensive unit, an internationally recognized transplant surgery program, a children’s cancer center and a pediatric asthma center.

“Wisconsin’s children need a hospital like the American Family Children’s Hospital. Children are not small adults,” said AFCH Vice President Jeff Poltawsky in a statement. “They require specialized care from a specialty-trained team of professionals. The money raised by Wisconsin Dance Marathon will go far in providing the best care possible for these kids.”

The marathon is open to the general public as well as UW students. Teams are encouraged to invite others to attend and make donations.

Marathon Secretary Adam Wallenfang said several hundred participants have already registered, and signing up is a simple process at www.uwdancemarathon.org.

Donations can be made online by teams or by individuals who wish to contribute to the cause.