Man mugged near Badger Bus depot

A Milwaukee man was robbed at gunpoint shortly after he got off a bus at the Madison Bus Depot on the corner of Bedford Street and West Washington Avenue around1 a.m. Friday morning.

The 22-year-old victim is not a University of Wisconsin student.

The victim said he was walking north on Bedford Street when he stopped to ask a couple men for directions, according to the police report.

Madison Police Department Lt. Jerry Tomczak said the officers responded to Kelley’s Market on West Washington Avenue where they talked with the victim about what had occurred.

According to the police report, the victim and the two men continued to walk north on Bedford Street after one of the men claimed he had a GPS system in his car. The victim said, “The next thing he knew, (the man) had pulled a gun and asked for his cash.”

The first perpetrator, who allegedly said he had a GPS in his car, was described as a Latino man, 5-foot-6-inches, with long dark hair and a skullcap, wearing a green letter jacket with white sleeves.

The second perpetrator was described as a black male, 5-foot-10-inches, wearing a black jacket, blue jeans and brown Timberland boots.

Tomczak said the victim was asking the men for directions to the Covance Medical Center.

Tomczak said Covance often advertises for people to earn money by completing various health studies, for conditions such as asthma and habits like smoking.

“It doesn’t say that in this report, but maybe he was going to participate in one of those (studies),” Tomczak said.

According to the police report, the two men went through the victim’s pockets and took his money.

Tomczak said although the police get a number of calls to the bus station, they are often for things like a missing person.

“It doesn’t sound like it happened at the bus station,” Tomczak said, noting the incident occurred on Bedford Street.

No one was available for comment at the Madison Bus Depot Monday night.