Regional Transit Authority to put all projects on hold

The committee designated with creating legislation to establish the Regional Transit Authorities has suspended its work due to the budget deficit and change in Legislature leadership.

One of the reasons for the halt, according to Topf Wells, chief of staff for Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk, is the change in leadership, stemming from this month’s elections.

“The legislators who had been working on that issue are just pausing to see what that change in the Legislature … will mean for that issue,” Wells said.

The stall is also due to the financial concerns of such projects.

“We need Regional Transit Authorities. The problem is: How do we fund it?” said Rep. Thomas Lothian, R-Williams Bay.

However, with the current economic hardships, funding for RTAs, especially by raising taxes, has become a controversial issue.

“Even if it’s a very slight increase in the sales tax, when the economy is faltering, it is much more difficult to get approval of new taxes,” Wells said.

Supporters of the establishment of RTAs say their creation does not necessarily mandate raising taxes, as methods of funding would be up to the people within each region.

But many are uneasy that funding for the service could be taken from those who don’t live near urban areas. Lothian said he is worried the tax will be distributed to people who will not use the service.

However, rather than a problem, many see the increase in public transportation as a possible solution for local and statewide economic woes, including a $5 billion shortfall within the state budget.

“With the state budget deficit, there’s obviously going to be less state money available for governments, so local governments will need new options for raising necessary revenue. Secondly, infrastructure investment is a job creator,” said Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison.

Wells thinks that a move away from traditional fuel sources, for economic and environmental reasons, will also encourage the creation of further public transportation.

“Most people believe that the long-term trend for petroleum is up, that sort of long-term economic factor makes new and better mass transit options more popular and more economical,” Wells said.

Another reason for lack of support of furthering public transportation is differences between urban and rural areas of the state.

According to Black, the rural areas of Wisconsin are less supportive because they believe they will benefit less from public transportation than those in more urban areas.

Black said he disagrees with the common misconception, adding good transportation systems in thriving metropolitan areas would benefit all.

Despite rising concerns and stalled talks, supporters still think RTAs are a strong possibility within Wisconsin.

Although many say it’s too soon to speculate, Wells said that not only is further development of public transportation the right solution, but RTAs will soon exist within Wisconsin.

“I think that eventually they will be (established) because they’re a very useful tool in addressing serious transportation issues and opportunities,” Wells said.