Union South budget rocky

Shaky economic conditions have had their effect even on the University of Wisconsin’s new Union South building, with construction scheduled to begin in the next year.

Organizers are considering their contingency plans in light of the tough economy, including compiling a database of leftover materials from other UW building projects and the possibility of changing some elements to cheaper materials.

Due to recent variations in the price of commodities such as steel, the project is in a “constant state of flux,” said Dan Cornelius, vice president for project management.

Hank Walter, associate director of the Wisconsin Union, said it is “misleading” to call the project over budget.

“Trying to build a new building in this stage of the game, it’s not like going out and buying a car where someone can give you a fixed price,” Walter said. “The building is still being designed. So as you go along you try to get estimates of what things might cost in the future.”

The new South Campus Union will be constructed on the site of the current Union South. Demolition of the old building will begin in February and is scheduled for completion by spring of 2011.

Though there is no exact number yet, Cornelius said the price tag on the project will be about $90 million.

“We’re pushing our budget to a reasonable extent because we want to get as much out of the building as possible,” Cornelius said.

Since fall 2007, students have been paying $48 per semester in segregated fees for the structure. Starting in the 2009-10 school year, that number will go up to $96 per semester and will continue at that rate until 2040.

If the project does end up over budget, Cornelius said students will not have to pay more.

“Student funds are going to be funding a good portion of the project, and student funds are capped,” Cornelius said. “The union would never try to get more, and I don’t think the students would ever be into giving more.”

In the event the project is in a financial crunch, Cornelius said more cost-effective, less visually appealing materials may be used in non-conspicuous locations throughout the building.

He added the union’s priority is to maximize meeting, programming and student organization space, which he thinks is necessary to keep the building “sustainable.”

“We need to make sure we have the facilities that are going to support the needs of campus now and into the foreseeable future,” Cornelius said.

The union will be getting in contact this week with UW-Extension to see if they have stored away any materials that could be used in the new building.

Items will be entered into a database and could include things such as a stone base from barns throughout the state that are maintained by UW-Extension.

“Across the state we’re trying to compile this database, this registry, so the architects can look at what materials are available and how they might fit into the building,” Cornelius said.

Though the new building will aim to be environmentally friendly, Cornelius said due to cost, it is unlikely that solar panels or wind turbines will be built. However, the union is pursuing funding for such projects from the government.