County orders most ballots ever

Dane County ordered a record number of ballots for the upcoming Nov. 4 election, city and county officials announced Monday.

Ordering enough ballots for 100 percent voter turnout, Bob Ohlsen, county clerk, said some communities actually have more than 100 percent while others have less because they redistributed ballots to ensure places with heavy traffic have enough.

“We have never ordered as many ballots as we have this time,” Ohlsen said. “We took a real hard look at communities that are growing more than others.”

Rosalind Gausman, city clerk for the Town of Dunn, said her office has been preparing for the upcoming election and expects a turnout similar to the 2004 presidential election.

“I have a goal to make the process as easy as possible and make the voters look forward to coming to the polls to vote on Election Day,” Gausman said.

But even while officials made the announcement in the lobby of the City County Building over lunch hour, the clerk’s office had a line out the door of people ready to vote early.

People should still expect lines on Election Day, especially on and near campus, Ohlsen said.

Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said students should not have to wait for hours at the polls but they should “come prepared to 15 or 20 minutes.”

“Maybe bring a couple books, bring your laptop and get a little bit of work done,” Cieslewicz said. “If you bring a little bit of studying to do, you might make that a productive period … There’s always text messaging too.”

Voter turnout is expected to be high this year, said Nancy Zastrow, president of the Wisconsin Municipal Clerks Association. She said in 2000 they hit a record high number for voter turnout, and it increased again in 2004.

“Statistically, it looks like this one is going to be even higher,” Zastrow said.

To accommodate for higher turnout, clerk’s offices across the county have increased the number of poll workers for Election Day.

However, the city of Madison is still looking for extra poll workers, which Cieslewicz said is a perfect opportunity for students to make some extra cash.

The position pays $10.92 per hour and workers can count on about 10 hours of work equaling about $100 for the day, Cieslewicz said.

Cieslewicz said people still can vote early at the City Clerk’s office until Nov. 3 and noted Wisconsin is one of the only states that allows citizens to register at the polls.

“We want to make sure everyone who wants to vote, gets to vote,” said Joshua Wescott, spokesperson for Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk.

To register at the polls, people need to make sure they bring identification and a proof of residence if they live off campus in Madison. Proof of residence can be in the form of a copy of a lease, a utility bill, a bank statement or a paycheck.