Kerry leads Obama rally

Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., rallied a large crowd of energetic Madisonians at the Capitol on Tuesday in support of Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

Kerry appeared in support of Obama for president along with local Democratic leaders, including Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk and U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin.

“While the outcome looks encouraging in Wisconsin for Barack Obama and Joe Biden, the hardest work still lies ahead of us. Wisconsin is a battle ground state,” Baldwin said. “In the past two presidential elections, our state was decided by less than 1 percent of the vote.”

Kerry spoke highly of Obama, citing several specific reasons as to why he is the best candidate for president in this upcoming November election, while also criticizing policies of Republican presidential nominee John McCain.

The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were discussed by the 2004 Democratic presidential nominee, who pointed out the differences between McCain’s and Obama’s views on keeping America safe. He said McCain believes Iraq is the center of the war, while Obama disagrees.

“The center of the War on Terror has never been Iraq. It is always where Osama bin Laden lives, works and plots,” Kerry said. “We deserve a president who understands how to keep America safe.”

He discussed the health care plans of Obama and McCain and pointed to the planned deregulation of the health care system as a problem, saying “most Americans would rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than take that route.”

Kerry promised Obama would fight for the right of Americans to choose their health care coverage, adding that Obama would make health care available to more Americans, whereas McCain’s plan would take health care away from almost 30 million people.

The lack of action by previous administrations in the effort to protect the environment was another issue examined by Kerry, saying the government has known about the problem for 20 years yet hasn’t done anything.

Obama supporters were not the only people present at the rally. Students for McCain made an appearance as a counter-rally, carrying McCain-Palin signs and shouting McCain chants.

The group stood on the Capitol’s lawn, but were subsequently blocked from view when Obama staffers handed out more signs and moved in a large American flag.

“Republicans don’t really have a large voice on campus,” said Dan Hoefs, co-chair of Students for McCain. “Especially in times like this with under a month to go, it’s time for Republicans to get out here and show that we are vocal and that this is an issue.”

Hoefs added it is particularly important to have a voice in this upcoming election, which will prove to be extremely close in Wisconsin.

“We’re doing anything and everything we can do,” Hoefs said. “We tried to do it as respectfully as possible today and just show people that we have a voice too.”

After the rally, the speakers led a march to the Madison City Clerk office to encourage people to cast their vote early as an alternative to voting on Election Day.

“You can register and vote early at the clerk’s office every weekday up until Election Day,” Falk said. “Voting is quick, easy and convenient, and when you do it early you can work it on your own schedule.”