County budget to add funding for clean lakes

[media-credit name=’DEBBIE LI/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]Flak_DL[/media-credit]

With several local environmental activists standing behind her, Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk announced Monday afternoon the 2009 county budget includes nearly $14 million for a number of lake and land conservation initiatives.

Among these initiatives is the construction of a manure digester, planning for a bike trail on the north side of Lake Mendota, offering buyouts to homeowners in areas with a high flood risk and a $2.5 million increase in the conservation fund.

“Here at a time when people are more anxious about the world, about the economy, it’s even more important that we protect what we call our home,” Falk said.

The Dane County budget for 2009, including where cuts are being made, is to be released Wednesday and will be sent for discussion by the Dane County Board of Supervisors in the coming months.

Board of Supervisors Chair Scott McDonell, District 1, said he believes this part of the county budget will be well received by the rest of the board.

“We have a strong commitment over the last 10 or 11 years on the conservation fund, on trying to restore and protect wetlands,” McDonell said. “I think the floods really brought that home to everybody. I think the timing is right for a strong investment in that area.”

Falk said the most exciting project included in this year’s budget is the construction of a manure digester for farmers in the county to put excess manure, preventing it from running off into area lakes and rivers.

“This keeps the phosphorous and the pollutants out of our rivers and lakes so that we have blue waters instead of green waters,” Falk said.

The manure digester will also serve as an energy source by converting the waste into different byproducts to be used as fuel.

After record flooding this summer, Falk said she decided to include $200,000 for the county to assist flood victims who did not receive federal or state money. She said the county will offer to buy out homes in areas at high risk for flooding.

The land acquired during the voluntary buyout would most likely be converted to park land or wetlands, and houses would be moved to a new location or taken down.

While Falk said she was unsure if county residents affected by flooding would be interested in the buyout offer, she said supervisors on the county board will be happy with the new addition.

“I know that will receive a lot of support on the county board because they’re hearing from a lot of those folks,” Falk said.

As part of an ongoing effort to preserve and restore wetlands, Falk has increased funding to the $2.5 million mark because of the importance of wetlands during heavy rains.

The budget also includes a $2.5 million increase for this year’s conservation fund, which has not exceeded $5 million in the past 10 years.