Constitution to include student body president

A newly drafted Associated Students of Madison constitution calls for major changes to ASM’s internal structure, including the election of a student body president, the organization unveiled Monday.

The draft also includes a vice president, senate and cabinet. These changes are efforts to create a more effective and efficient University of Wisconsin student government, according to Jeff Wright, Constitutional Committee chair.

“We felt as though making changes to the current structure — rather than trying to build a new one — would put us in a place where we would be making piecemeal and disjointed forms to the structure that would not work in the end,” Wright said. “To rebuild a really effective student government for this campus, we needed to think completely from scratch.”

Wright said the fundamental difference between the current constitution and the draft is the delineation of powers. Presently, the student council and grassroots committees reserve the power to legislate; the new constitution would put the majority of power in the hands of the executive branch.

Johnny Tackett, a Constitutional Committee member, said the first draft is strong and represents a wide spectrum of viewpoints, though he stressed it is still the “first” draft.

“Having a popularly elected student president will bring more legitimacy to student government on campus. It gives students a better idea of what ASM is,” Tackett added. “But all of these things could change. We are looking forward to getting student feedback.”

Hillary Minor, also a Constitutional Committee member, said the feedback listening sessions ASM will hold for students, faculty, staff and ASM members to improve the draft will be crucial in creating a constitution that is “of the students, and by the students.”

“It is not a final constitution by any means,” Minor added. “We are not trying to sell the constitution as it is written now. I’m really open to what they have to say. It’s going to be really nice to have 40,000 sets of eyes on it.”

According to David Lapidus, former Student Council and Student Service Finance Committee member, the organizational side of ASM has been “weak,” and “a lot of quirks” still need to be worked out.

“With a president campaigning on a specific message, I think it could have significant benefits for ASM to organize,” Lapidus added. “I think this is moving in the right direction in an area that ASM has historically been lacking.”

ASM Chair Brittany Wiegand said the new constitution “looks good on paper,” but instituting it on the UW campus could be difficult.

“We are putting a lot into the legislative branch,” Wiegand said. “I’m worried about how it will work the first few years, getting people involved and making the commitment.”

The Constitutional Committee will announce details on the feedback listening sessions next week, Wright said.