City Council to vote on new alder

The Madison City Council is likely to approve today former Alder Libby Monson to fill the District 7 seat, after current Ald. Zach Brandon accepted an appointment in the Wisconsin Department of Commerce in August.

Monson, who is a former alder of that district, was recommended to fill Brandon’s position at the council’s Organizational Committee Wednesday, and her appointment will be voted by the City Council in today’s meeting.

“After a very brief discussion, Ms. Monson was recommended unanimously,” said Ald. Mark Clear, District 19, who sits on the Organizational Committee. Brandon made a statement in favor of Monson after the committee heard statements from six applicants, he added.

Clear said each of the applicants were vetted properly, and the committee asked each applicant the same questions. Some were qualified, some were not, he added.

“I don’t think the committee was aware of his preference for Monson until he said so,” Clear said.

Monson said she applied because Brandon asked her to and has absolutely no intention of applying for his seat in the spring election. 

According to Clear, Monson’s lack of interest in running for the seat in the spring was one determining factor for the committee.

“Though not required, there is a tradition of making appointments with people who say they won’t run, so that there’s no incumbency advantage created without the voters,” Clear said. “I do expect some of the applicants to run for the seat in the spring.”

Brandon was appointed as Wisconsin Department of Commerce’s executive assistant, the third-highest position in the department.

“Due to the commitment it takes to be in the position, it wouldn’t allow me to do both jobs how I would like,” Brandon said.

Monson has worked in real estate since 1972 and has been a resident of Madison for 36 years. 

Monson served on the City Council 25 years ago, as alder for District 1, which is now District 7.

Clear and Brandon both said Monson has “extensive experience in the neighborhood,” including in leadership of the neighborhood association.

Brandon said the major issues facing District 7 are public safety, including response time for police, fire and ambulance, as well as traffic and speeding.

According to Monson, these basic services are on the top of the list, but also passing the city budget this November is an important decision, for which the District 7 seat should not be empty.

Monson said she is currently reading and reviewing the 2009 capital budget, and after her appointment she will try to get caught up to speed quickly. 

“I think Libby’s going to do great,” Brandon said. “She has the experience and support of the district.”