It’s official: McCain accepts nod

ST. PAUL, Minn. — U.S. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., vowed Thursday to reform Washington by cutting government waste and taxes while attacking the Democratic nominee for his stances on issues on education, foreign relations and health care.

McCain formally accepted the nomination for president at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minn. and thanked those present for their support of his vice presidential running mate, Gov. Sarah Palin, R-Alaska.

“I have the privilege given to few Americans, the privilege of accepting our party’s nomination for president of the United States,” McCain said. “I accept it with gratitude, humility and confidence.”

McCain added he is proud to have introduced Palin to the country and that he can’t wait to introduce her to Washington.

“Let me offer an advance warning to the old, big spending, do nothing, me-first, country second Washington crowd: change is coming,” he said

The Republican nominee attacked the plans Democratic nominee U.S. Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., on health care, education and foreign policy. He said the government should offer America market solutions for health care, more school choices and a hard-line stance against the nation’s enemies.

“All these functions of government were designed before the rise of the global economy, the information technology revolution and the end of the Cold War,” McCain said. “We have to catch up with history, and we have to change the way we do business in Washington.”

The last day of the RNC was marked with more antiwar demonstrations that have inundated the streets of St. Paul since Monday.

Downtown streets were taken over by thousands of protesters from several states since the beginning of the convention, most of whom marched toward the Xcel Energy Center each day asking for troop withdrawal from Iraq, universal health care and assistance to the economically challenged population.

On Thursday, nearly 2,000 people attempted to march from Capitol Square to the Xcel Center in the hours preceding McCain’s speech at the RNC. The demonstration followed an antiwar rally in front of the Capitol, which had a city permit to continue until 5 p.m.

According to Sgt. John Lazoya of the St. Paul Police Department, the event became unlawful once their time expired and presents chose to march down the streets toward the RNC.

More than four people were arrested on Capitol Square after being identified as suspects of smashing windows and violating pubic property in previous protest days, Lazoya said.

Protesters were met with heavy police presence a few blocks from the Capitol. After warnings to disperse, police shot rounds of rubber bullets and pepper spray and arrested more than 30 protesters.

“I’ve been taught since I was four that America was the land of dreams, the land of freedom where we can practice our rights, and lo and behold, I can’t walk down the streets,” said 19-year-old Julia Shindel, a junior from Georgetown who led several chants during the march.

Nearly 200 protesters were arrested later that evening, including several journalists and photographers. As of Thursday morning, 320 had been arrested as a result of protests, according to St. Paul police.