Wray: Sponsor could decrease Mifflin arrests

[media-credit name=’JAKE NAUGHTON/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]Noble_Wray_JN[/media-credit]

After the Mifflin Street Block Party hit a record number of arrests for the fifth year in a row last weekend, Police Chief Noble Wray said Wednesday those numbers will not drop in future years unless someone steps forward to sponsor the event.

In an interview with The Badger Herald, Wray said he would like to see the event go in a different direction, adding police do not consider the party successful “when you have to manage behavior by issuing tickets.”

With more than 400 arrests and an estimated attendance of less than 10,000, this year’s block party continues a pattern of dramatic decreases in attendance coupled with huge spikes in arrest totals.

But according to Wray, police have not changed their procedures when dealing with partygoers, and the spiking number of arrests is “an indicator that the behavior is not what it should be.”

Ald. Mike Verveer, whose District 4 includes West Mifflin Street, has been an open proponent of a sponsorship for the party. For him, having an official body take responsibility for the event would ensure fewer citations and more fun for partygoers.

Verveer pointed to previous years in which the party was sponsored by the Mifflin Street Co-op and critiqued the current alcohol-focused celebration.

“Before, one could argue that the party wasn’t just about drinking; it was about music. There were DJs and bands,” he said.

George Twigg, spokesperson for Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, agreed with Verveer and said the party could “actually be a lot more enjoyable” if there was sponsorship. But, he added, the event needs to be credible and organized so police are satisfied with safety levels.

“The police try to take a reasonable approach,” Twigg said. “It’s not zero tolerance, but it’s not anything goes. They try to strike a balance in that regard.”

Joel DeSpain, Madison Police Department public information officer, said despite high numbers of arrests, the party is still safe given there were no noticeable violent incidents. He added police presence and enforcement during the party sends a message to partygoers that they are there to maintain order and safety.

Still, Verveer said he is frustrated with MPD “believing they’re required to have such a strict enforcement of alcohol-related ordinances during the event.”

“I don’t want to be seen as blaming the cops; I understand where their perspective comes from,” Verveer said. “But my understanding where their policy comes from, going back a few years now, is that this party is not recognized by the city. It’s an illegal party in their mind, and they don’t want to encourage it. They don’t want it to get even larger.”

Wray said he is open to discussing the idea of sponsorship, but added he doesn’t think it is “up to me or the police to decide.”

“I’d like to see those numbers go down, but it does take somebody taking responsibility for the event,” Wray said. “I don’t think we should be looking to blame a group; it is important for people to be held accountable for their own individual behaviors and actions.”