Senior president steals bus passes

The University of Wisconsin’s senior class president-elect has been charged with a misdemeanor for stealing six bus tickets from the Memorial Union over spring break.

UW junior Oliver Delgado, elected for the 2008-09 year with 430 votes, said he tried to purchase two roundtrip tickets to Chicago’s O’Hare Airport so he and his roommate could catch an early morning flight to Puerto Rico. The Union bus travel desk was closed, and Delgado “didn’t know what to do,” he said.

“I didn’t go with the intention of stealing; that’s not who I am, and that’s not the way I was brought up,” he added.

A Van Galder Bus Company employee approached Delgado when he returned to O’Hare after break and asked for identification after the company tracked the tickets when the theft was reported. UW police officers went to his house March 27 where Delgado admitted to the theft. He later returned two of the tickets to UWPD, adding he was forced to steal all six tickets because they came bundled together.

He has not been arrested, but appeared in court to schedule an initial hearing.

Delgado attends UW on a full-tuition scholarship and said he has been involved on several leadership positions on campus.

“I definitely accept responsibility, and I know it wasn’t the best decision, but at the same time I hope that what I’ve been involved in on this campus — and even stuff that I continue to do — reflect on my character,” Delgado said.

Delgado said this is a “learning experience” and that he has no plans to resign his position.

Jeff Wright, Student Council representative and senior class president runner-up, said he cannot speak for the council but expects university officials to take some disciplinary action.

Wright added there are no bylaws in place to deal with such a situation, but if Student Council chooses to remove Delgado from office, there are three main options on the table: appoint the senior class vice president-elect, hold new elections or appoint the runner-up for the position.

According to court files, Delgado was charged with a misdemeanor for theft under $2,500 and has a set hearing for May 30.