Health buildings ban smoking on premises

The University of Wisconsin has banned smoking on the premises of the health sciences buildings on campus, taking another step toward a smoke-free campus.

The smoking restriction, which will go into effect April 2, will ban smoking on the lot containing UW Hospital and Clinics at 600 Highland Ave. and all building areas adjacent to or within the boundary of the lot, according to a statement released Wednesday. Currently, all campus buildings restrict smoking indoors and within 25 feet of building entrances.

According to the statement, the affected buildings include the Waisman Center, the School of Medicine and Public Health and the School of Pharmacy, among others.

Michael Fiore, director of the UW Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention, said this ban is an attempt to keep UW Hospital and Clinics in particular up to date with other hospitals throughout the state and the nation.

“Hospitals across America have taken up a policy to ensure that all of their ground is safe and smoke-free,” Fiore said. “UW Hospital is one of the last.”

He added he is unsure if this is a sign UW is taking steps to make the entire campus smoke-free, but said it is a measure to keep pace with other hospitals in protecting patients.

“The purpose is to reduce the presence of dangerous substances in an environment where sick people are,” Fiore said. “Hospitals are places where they minimize risk of exposure to dangerous chemicals.”

According to the statement, other campus units also have the option of going entirely smoke-free. Interested parties, as well as people with questions or comments regarding the UW tobacco policy, can contact Vice Chancellor Darrell Bazzell to discuss the matter.

Fiore said he hopes this new policy will persuade people to try to quit smoking.

Meriter Hospital and St. Mary’s Hospital in Madison are also implementing smoke-free property policies.