Union plans talks for upset workers

The Wisconsin Union will hold a series of forums in the coming weeks to hear student employees? concerns with management and operations in the facilities, officials announced Tuesday.

The forums come after a group of 33 employees signed a letter sent to the Offices of the Dean of Students last week expressing their discontentment with Union management and alleging a loss of the student voice at the Union.

In an e-mail sent to Union student employees, Director Mark Guthier said ?it is apparent that there is a need to discuss employees? viewpoints in an environment where there is no fear of retaliation.

?In addition, I believe as an organization, we have an obligation to have other members of the Union community present to listen to student concerns and respond where appropriate,? Guthier said.

For UW senior Jesse Allhands, who works at the first-floor information desk, the coming forums are a ?step in the right direction.?

?I?m glad they?re doing it, and I think it?s a sincere attempt in addressing students? concerns,? he said. ?But I think that it remains to be seen whether or not these forums will actually accomplish anything.?

Allhands added he was surprised to hear about the forums only a few days after Union officials said the 33 letter signers, roughly 5 percent of the student workers, were not representative of the whole student staff.

?I think they?re beginning to realize that this isn?t just a few people who are complaining about this,? he said. ?It sincerely is a large significant portion of the student employee body in both Union South and Memorial Union.?

According to Allhands, other student workers, including him, would like to have signed the letter, but many were not informed that such a complaint was being drafted.

Guthier also urged students to contact their immediate supervisors or managers if they would rather discuss further concerns privately and said those attending the forums would be paid for their time.

The number of forums to be held is yet to be determined, and workers will be informed of dates and times through supervisors and an e-mail later this week.