McCain appeals to Wisconsin conservatives

MILWAUKEE ? Arizona Sen. John McCain made his case to Wisconsin Republicans Friday night, hoping to solidify his conservative credentials and rally his base before tomorrow?s primary election.

McCain, who holds a strong lead over former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, stood in front of a portrait of President Ronald Reagan and addressed a crowd of more than 350 at a Wisconsin Republican Party dinner, focusing on traditional conservative issues and patriotism.

McCain mentioned Huckabee ? his only remaining competition ? only briefly, and he instead worked to contrast himself with Democratic Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, one of whom he would face as the probable nominee.

?They want to raise taxes; I want to lower taxes. They want bigger government; I want smaller government,? McCain said. ?They want to have the government take over the health care system in America; I want American families to decide.?

Former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson introduced McCain, calling him an ?outstanding conservative,? and saying it bothered him when people say McCain is not conservative enough.

?I want you to know that John McCain is pro-life,? Thompson said. ?There is not one senator in the United States Senate today, yesterday or for the last 25 years that has stood the course more on spending than John McCain.?

McCain told the crowd he would carry the state of Wisconsin, which has recently gone to the Democrats by a relatively close margin.

?I want to assure you I will compete ? if I am the nominee of the Republican Party ? in Wisconsin and every place in this nation,? he said.

National security was central in McCain?s speech, and he returned to the topic several times. He called the struggle against radical Islamic extremism ?one of the greatest evils that this nation has ever faced.?

?I want to look you in the eye and tell you I will never ever surrender; they will,? McCain said. ?If I have to follow him to the gates of Hell, I will get Osama bin Laden, and I will bring him to justice.?

McCain also discussed improving veterans? health care, thanked veterans in the crowd and recounted an anecdote from his time as a prisoner in Vietnam. In the story, a fellow prisoner defied guards by sewing an American flag pattern inside his shirt, to which the prisoners said the Pledge of Allegiance daily.

?You don?t hear him tell a lot of Vietnam stories, I hear,? said Matt Flynn, a recent graduate of Middle Tennessee State University, who attended the event. ?But they were really some interesting stories.?

McCain also stressed his own fiscal conservatism during the speech, saying he had never received an earmark during his years in the Senate and criticizing Clinton and Obama for receiving $342 million and $92 million, respectively, in earmarks.

?I will veto any bill that comes across my desk as president of the United States that has a single earmark project on it,? McCain said. ?We?re more interested in the children of America than in the pork of America.?

McCain also touched the issues of border control and the war in Iraq, calling Clinton?s plan to withdraw troops within 60 days ?surrender.?

?I am committed to the belief that success in Iraq will ensure that future generations of Americans will not be called upon to make that sacrifice,? McCain said.

John Slater, an independent who attended the dinner, said he found McCain?s speech patriotic and inspiring.

?I?ve always supported him, and now I think through his efforts to coalesce the party, he?s really demonstrating his true leadership abilities,? Slater said. ?He seems to be very natural and true to his moral compass when speaking to everybody, so I?m even more supportive of him now.?