Financing group hears proposals for costly upgrades

Students at the University of Wisconsin could see costly improvements to some facilities throughout campus next year.

The Associated Students of Madison?s Student Services Finance Committee heard the budget proposals Thursday of Recreational Sports, University Health Services and the ASM-sponsored bus pass program through Madison Metro.

The Division of Recreational Sports would like to make repairs and improvements to both the South East Recreational Facility and the Natatorium with their proposed 2008-09 budget.

Lisa Learish, Senior Accountant for the Division of Recreational Sports, said that they would like to spend over $805,800 on renovations, including buying new weight equipment for the Shell, painting the pool at the SERF and purchasing new ice skates for rent at the Shell.

?We want to spend $75,000 to replace the track at the SERF and $441,800 to replace the lockers at the SERF,? Learish said.

UW Recreational Sports Director Dale Carruthers said the newest recreational facility is 25 years old and that the repairs and replacements are necessary.

?This is what you hate to spend money on,? Carruthers said. ?We would like to spend this money on programs that the students are actually interested in, as opposed to hardware.?

UHS is also planning on many future improvements.

?The theme for our budget is change,? Interim Director of UHS Susan Crowley said. ?Three of the major changes have to do with the change in leadership. We are currently recruiting an executive director of Health Services??

UHS will be moving to the new Lucky Properties, directly above the new Student Activity Center. Crowley also anticipates a 10 percent increase in utilization of supplies over last year because of the improved accessibility of the facility.

?It is very hard to predict, so we do assume that because we will be in a more central location, it will be even more easy for students to come,? Crowley said. ?We?ll be in a brand-new facility; it will be that much more attractive for students to come.?

The UHS budget also asked for funds amounting to roughly $100,000 to support a custodial staff for their building in University Square.

Margaret Bergamini, ASM Bus Pass Coordinator, presented SSFC with a budget that accounted for an 8 percent increase in ridership. She said when accounting for a budget for two years out, you need to take the higher end of an estimated range.

?To be fiscally responsible, I have to be prepared, especially with the weather we have been having,? Bergamini said.

In addition, Bergamini said that every time a bus pass is swiped, the bus pass program gets charged 88 cents. However, paying cash to get on the bus would mean paying $1.50 for a ride. Rates are expected to go up in the next few years, though, at 90.252 cents in 2008-09 and $1 after that.

The SSFC will make recommendations on each budget at their next meeting Monday, Feb. 18.