Clinton uses ads to challenge for debate

As presidential hopefuls Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and Mike Huckabee all hit the airwaves this week, the debate on candidate advertising in Wisconsin has so far centered on, well, a debate.

An ad currently running in the state from the Clinton campaign explains that she has accepted an invitation to debate at Marquette University but Obama has not.

?Maybe he?d prefer to give speeches than answer questions,? the narrator says. ?Wisconsin deserves to hear both candidates debate the issues that matter,? the narrator continues. ?And that?s not debatable.?

The Obama campaign released a response to the ad Wednesday afternoon, saying Obama and Clinton have met for 18 debates so far and have two more planned for the next three weeks.

?It’s telling that Sen. Obama is spending the day offering substantive ideas on how to fix the housing crisis, offer relief to middle-class families and end the outsourcing of Wisconsin jobs, while Sen. Clinton is playing the same old Washington games,? said Dan Leistikow, Obama Wisconsin Campaign communications director, in an e-mail to The Badger Herald.

?Senator Clinton’s attacks won’t help pass universal health care, or restore one Wisconsin job that has been lost due to trade agreements like NAFTA that she supported,? Leistikow added.

Meanwhile, Obama has released an ad that shows him speaking to a small gathering of factory employees, saying if the plant moves to China they?re on their own, without pensions or health care.

?We’ve got to stop giving tax breaks to companies that are moving overseas and give those tax breaks to companies that are investing in the United States of America,? Obama says. ?Enough is enough.?

Clinton has also run ads focused on her health care plan in the state.

Huckabee, the former Republican governor of Arkansas, has purchased 38 spots on WISN-TV in Milwaukee, starting Wednesday and totaling $29,500, and wispolitics.com reports he has also purchased 18 spots totaling $5,550 on WITI-TV, also in Milwaukee, starting today.

?