Drink and blow under new rule

A bill introduced this week to the Legislature would require Wisconsinites with two or more convictions for drunken driving to install Breathalyzer-like devices to prevent them from starting their vehicles after consuming alcohol.

Rep. Dean Kaufert, R-Neenah, proposed the legislation aiming to prevent repeat offenses by mandating installation of the ignition interlock device for two years following the conviction.

?Under current law, after a second offense, judges may order an ignition interlock in people?s vehicles,? Kaufert said. ?I just believe we need to start looking at earlier intervention with drunk drivers.?

Kaufert said the demand on repeat offenders is a reasonable one, adding, ?I think we can change people?s behavior [with this legislation], and I think it?s all about changing people?s behavior at an earlier point.?

The ignition interlock device tests the driver in a similar method to Breathalyzers and prevents the car from starting if it detects any alcohol in the driver?s system. The device would be rented at a cost to the offender of about $60-75 per month.

Though the legislation is circulating the Republican-controlled Assembly for cosponsors and has not been officially introduced, state executive director of Mothers Against Drunk Driving Kari Kinnard said it wouldn?t be enough.

?While we support ignition interlock legislation, we would like to see that include first offenders as well,? Kinnard said, adding New Mexico, Illinois, Louisiana and Arizona all have laws requiring the devices in the cars of first-time offenders.

?Most [operating while intoxicated] homicides are committed by people with no prior conviction. Although we continue to target repeat offenders, and rightly so, we certainly can?t ignore first-time offenders,? she said.

Kinnard added other states that have required ignition interlock legislation have found success.

According to the Department of Transportation, more than one-third of fatal traffic accidents in Wisconsin involve alcohol, and alcohol-related traffic deaths are the largest component of all traffic fatalities in the state.

In 2005, 330 people died in alcohol-related accidents in Wisconsin, and 5,992 people were injured. In 2006, the number dropped to 305, also according to DOT.