Safety issues loom at Union

The University of Wisconsin Police Department and the Wisconsin Union are investigating a series of incidents that led to the arrest of five UW students in mid-December, as well as handling criticism from a student who was allegedly assaulted in November.

According to UWPD South Campus Officer Erik Pearce, who is directly involved in the case, the students were sent forth for prosecution under charges of theft for their actions as employees.

Although Union higher management refused to provide details on the case, several student workers said most of the money went missing from Der Stiftskeller, a part of Der Rathskeller that serves alcoholic beverages and snacks.

?We conducted a lengthy investigation and had a lot of information to help us in our interviews,? Pearce said, adding UWPD had been involved in the case for one or two months prior to the arrests.

According to Pearce, the students arrested were either given a citation or taken to jail to have photos taken.

Since the investigation is still ongoing, Wisconsin Union staff and police refused to disclose how much money went missing or if there would be other arrests in the near future.

But three Union workers, who wished to remain anonymous for employment concerns, separately confirmed there were rumors inside the Union that the money missing likely will sum up to thousands of dollars.

?[Der Rathskeller manager] Jim [Long] started looking through the book and realized that something wasn’t quite right, lots of money that went missing, [workers] distributing a lot more beer than the money they were accounting for,? one worker said. ?Basically, Jim started to investigate this and began to realize that this was much more of a deeper problem than it looked like.?

Long, the Lakefront manager and Der Rathskeller interim manager, declined comment.

Wisconsin Union Communications Director Marc Kennedy said Memorial Union is currently working to comply with new UW campus standards by adding security cameras to its facilities for ?safety and loss prevention.?

About 50 cameras will be installed near all entrances, the Essentials Store, delis, restaurant cashiers, cash room and dark areas, like Hoofers and Outdoor Rentals by the Lakeshore Path.

The cameras will be monitored by UWPD, and there will be no cameras in common areas like Der Rathskeller or the Terrace.

?Some of it was consciously done, we don?t want it to appear like we?re watching anyone,? Kennedy said. ?It?s there for the safety of the patrons, and the security of the building and around cashier stands.?

Memorial Union currently has cameras in the art galleries on the second floor and arcades on the first, and the installation of new cameras should begin as early as March 1, Kennedy said.

But Joe Hunt, stepfather of a student allegedly assaulted in November, told The Badger Herald he heard a different story from Union staff.

UW junior Tony Uhl, Hunt?s stepson, and building manager Brian Falkowski, were allegedly physically attacked by two young black males Nov. 17 at an event at the Union. After repeatedly punching and kicking Uhl and Falkowski, both escaped the Union before police arrived at the scene.

There were no security guards working at the Union that night and, without video evidence, police were unable to identify the attackers.

Hunt said he and Uhl?s father took a few days off work to stay in Madison and meet with Memorial Union Assistant Director for Facilities Paul Broadhead, and they were promised security cameras would be installed beginning Jan. 1.

?He also promised that there would be stepped up for all of the students at the Union,? Hunt said, adding he thought that was a ?reasonable response? from the Union.

Three weeks into the new year with no cameras installed, Hunt said Friday ?I don?t get the impression that Mr. Broadhead is as upset as I am about this.?

?If you?ve got problems at that Union, why haven?t they been solved? Why does it get students getting beat up for anybody to do something about it,? Hunt said.

Kennedy said the cameras had been planned before the missing money and the November violent attack.

Broadhead did not return phone calls seeking comment last week.