Students deal with snow as UW keeps doors open

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Truck_BC[/media-credit]

Despite heavy snowfall in the Madison area Tuesday, the University of Wisconsin remained open.

Nearby postsecondary schools closed their doors this afternoon, including Madison Area Technical College, which released classes at 12:15 p.m. and closed at 1 p.m., and Edgewood College, which cancelled all afternoon events and classes after 2 p.m.

Other universities in the state also closed early because of the weather conditions Tuesday, including UW-Milwaukee and UW-Whitewater.

UW-Madison spokesperson Liz Beyler said the university closes because of weather only under extreme circumstances, including dangerously low temperatures or a significant amount of snow.

"The general policy is that we stay open," Beyler said. "But it doesn't necessarily mean that classes aren't canceled or anything, but we have to stay open for business."

She added university employees who wished to leave early were able to work it out with supervisors and arrange it to count as sick leave or vacation time.

The last cancellation that took place at UW was Feb. 16, 2006, due to snow, sleet and stiff winds, but the closure only applied to classes taking place after 4:30 p.m, Beyler said.

The last day UW closed for the entire day due to weather conditions was Dec. 3, 1990, when more than 17 inches of snow fell in a 12- to 16-hour period.

Since 1965, when UW started keeping records on school closings, classes have been canceled very few times, Beyler said.

Beyler also offered advice for students or employees who felt it was not safe enough for them to travel yesterday.

She said students or employees, especially those who live far from campus, who could not make it to work or class because of weather conditions should make arrangements with their employers or professors.

UW sophomore Azin Moghadam did not make it to class Tuesday because of the snow but did manage to make the trek to the library.

"There was a ridiculous amount and of snow, and I don't have the right kind of apparel for that," Moghadam said. "I honestly felt walking through Library Mall was like climbing Mt. Everest — I can't image what Bascom would be like."

Upon waking up Tuesday morning, UW sophomore Brian DeSalvo said he was not surprised classes were not canceled.

"We're in college and nothing is really that bad that you can't walk through it," DeSalvo said. "It just took a little longer."

Pedro Oliveira Jr. contributed to this report.