Massive sports bar coming downtown

A new restaurant and bar will be arriving near the University of Wisconsin campus soon, after the Alcohol License Review Committee approved a license for the two-level establishment Field Pass last night.

The committee approved the license with the conditions that the capacity level of the establishment be lowered from 800 to 550, the entire staff go through alcohol service training, an ID scanner be installed at the entrance and the establishment meet the formal definition of a restaurant.

This two-level establishment, reminiscent of an ESPN Zone, will be located on the corner of Johnson and Lake streets in University Square. According to City Council President Mike Verveer, Curt and Matt Brink — owner and general manager Field Pass — are working with several equity partners in order to fund and develop the $4.2 million restaurant. 

Although it is formally considered a restaurant, Field Pass plans on being much more. Verveer described the establishment's agenda as including underground parking, plenty of seating, two large bars, two large television screens, a stage, a dance floor and a two-story waterfall.

The father and son team, who also own and manage Madison's Brink Lounge, said they are committed to bringing new entertainment to the downtown area. 

"[Field Pass] is an alternative to what is currently offered downtown," Matt Brink said. "We want to focus on live music because that's what we do at the Brink Lounge."

Matt Brink explained that the restaurant's acoustic design and sound system will welcome a variety of live entertainment, including rock and roll, blues, Americana and even comedy.

Although the entertainment and atmosphere is important, the Brinks also put a large emphasis on their menu. They have developed an expansive menu from onion rings to steaks and entree salads. With approximately 65 items on the menu, they are looking to please all patrons. 

Despite the committee's approval, the University of Wisconsin and the Capitol Neighborhood Association were wary of a new alcohol-distributing restaurant in the area for several reasons.

The main concern at first was the initial capacity of 800, which would have been the largest capacity of a restaurant/bar in the city of Madison. However, the Brinks voluntarily decided to lower the capacity to 550 in order to help win the committee's approval.

Other concerns include the proximity to other taverns, adding to a density of alcohol distributors and the possibility of the restaurant acting more like a bar toward later hours.

"I think that there is enough distance from the university bar corridor," said Ald. Eli Judge, District 8, who represents the area. "[Field Pass] is far enough away from that area to not be a problem. I also believe that it will remain a restaurant [rather than a bar]." 

Judge also said the owners are working with many city officials to compose a security plan to ensure the safety of the Madison public.

"This should not be considered another bar coming in. That is not my intention," said Greg Rice, CEO of Executive Management Inc., a local property group. "Field Pass will service not only the Kohl Center events, but things that are going unmet in this area." 

Rice said come Aug. 15of next year, 1,000 new residents will be moving into the University Square area and raising the demand for food and drink establishments. He said Field Pass will be able to accommodate the new population and nearby parking.

Regardless of these concerns, Field Pass's license was unanimously approved under a few provisions, with several committee members wishing the Brinks good luck.