SJ lets RCF-UW reapply for funds

The Associated Students of Madison's Student Judiciary issued a ruling Friday in response to the Roman Catholic Foundation of the University of Wisconsin's appeal in hopes of receiving student segregated fees.

SJ ruled all groups, such as RCF-UW, that have been denied funding due to a lack of an "additional significant component" would be able to resubmit their eligibility application and highlight any areas they think posses that component.

According to SJ Vice Chair Shaun Hernandez, the additional significant component "has to be placed in the context of the educational benefit or service to the community," and must "be applied in the content of your educational benefit or service and not in the content of your event programming and leadership opportunities, which is what SSFC had been doing before."

Hernandez said SJ rules the Student Services Finance Committee, the organization responsible for allocating student-segregated fees, was misapplying the additional significant component bylaw.

"Although they were consistent in their determination of eligibility, we didn't find there was a violation of viewpoint neutrality against RCF," Hernandez said.

Rather then allow RCF-UW to completely re-present before SSFC in hopes of receiving funds, Hernandez said SJ decided it was more appropriate to allow groups to resubmit their applications.

The ruling included dissents of SJ Chief Justice Shaun Hernandez and Associate Justice Jeremy Jewitt, who both disagreed with the overall ruling.

Hernandez said the groups that were denied eligibility based solely on their lack of an additional significant component have until Nov. 14 to resubmit their applications, and SSFC will rule on the organizations' final eligibility status by Dec. 10.

RCF-UW Chair Beth Czarnecki said she looks forward to resubmitting her organization's eligibility application and is "glad there is a definition of the criteria."

"We think we have an additional significant component to present to the university … and we are very hopeful that we will get eligibility," Czarnecki said.

Correction: Due to a reporting error, the November 12 article “SJ lets RCF-UW

reapply for funds” should have said ASM Student Judiciary Chief

Justice Sol Grosskopf and Associate Justice Jeremy Jewett were the two

dissenters of SJ’s ruling. We regret the error.