Wisconsin Covenant receives $40 million in aid

The Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation will pledge $40 million toward Gov. Doyle’s Wisconsin Covenant program, the organization announced last week.

The program promises Wisconsin eighth graders, who participate by choice, enrollment in one of the state’s public, private or technical postsecondary educational institutes.

More than 17,000 Wisconsin students have signed the pledge that requires them to keep a B average and to remain good citizens, said Carla Vigue, spokesperson for Gov. Doyle. She said the first group of signers will be entering college in 2011.

“The Wisconsin Covenant is the governor’s initiative that is intended to motivate kids who are starting high school to think about what they need to do to go to college,” Vigue said.

This is achieved, Vigue said, by creating a partnership among students, teachers and counselors.

Vigue added the gift from the Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation, a private company that offers student loans, will triple the amount of financial aid available to future signers.

UW System spokesperson David Giroux said the Wisconsin Covenant will encourage success for the future Wisconsin workforce.

“It’s about encouraging people to prepare early for college success, helping them recognize that it is, in fact, going to be hard work, but then ultimately providing the motivation to them to get that done,” Giroux said. “We’ve been very strongly supportive of it — we think it’s key to the state’s success.”

Giroux added the gift from the Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation sends a strong message of support in regard to the governor’s program.

“The fact that there’s a private donor willing to step forward and make such a significant commitment to it is really encouraging,” Giroux said. “It doesn’t mean the state doesn’t still have an obligation, but it’s nice to see that the private sector recognizes the need to invest in this kind of program.”

Although the Wisconsin Covenant encourages the increase in postsecondary education, Giroux said the program is not a “UW System plan.”

“It’s not a necessary part of the Growth Agenda … as it applies to technical and private colleges as well, but it’s linked very closely,” Giroux said. “It reflects the growing realization that the future of our state depends largely on our ability to put more of our citizens through some type of college experience.”

Although Vigue and Giroux said they are excited for the future potential of the Wisconsin Covenant, others are unsure about what its actual effect will be.

Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, agreed, and said many details of the Wisconsin Covenant still need to be decided upon.

“We still don’t know how the program will work, or what the actual promise for the Covenant will be to 8th graders, but it is state law and were going to have to work out the details as we work along through the next couple of budget cycles,” Suder said.

He added parent involvement also plays a significant role in the future academic success for children.

“It is law, and hopefully it will help encourage people toward success, but it’s certainly not the only avenue out there — I think it has to start at home first,” Suder said.