UW hosts Halloween festivities

Even with Freakfest over for 2007, University of Wisconsin students can get ready for another night of Halloween festivities.

The Wisconsin Union Directorate is sponsoring a night of free entertainment this evening for students, staff and Union members to celebrate Halloween.

The events were planned by the 11 committees and one club that constitute WUD, according to WUD Vice President Amanda Green.

"We’re trying to encourage people to do fun, alternative activities and embrace Halloween in a manner that we haven’t really been able to do," Green said.

The evening of fun starts at 7 p.m. at Tripp Commons in the Memorial Union with the Buccaneer’s Costume Ball. Snacks and drinks will be provided, and guests will have the opportunity to dance to the disco music of Madison-based band VO5 until 11 p.m., as well as participate in a costume contest.

WUD will also be showing "The Shining" at Memorial Union Theater starting at 8 p.m. Doors open at 7 p.m., and a costume contest begins at 7:30 p.m. There will be an ice cream social following the movie.

"I’m really excited about ‘The Shining,’" Green said. "I haven’t ever seen it on the big screen, and it’s going to be a blast."

Students can also be sure to check out the "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" storytelling in the Hoofer Lounge. The spooky tales start at 8 p.m. and last until 11 p.m. Guests can meet at 8 p.m. in the Memorial Union lobby and then head down to the Hoofer Lounge Fireplace. According to Green, scary stories and readings will be shared by students from "Illumination: The Undergraduate Journal of Humanities."

There will also be an hour-long improv comedy show starting at 9 p.m. at the Play Circle Theater, featuring The Understudies. According to Green, the show isn’t specifically a Halloween event, but the group will be focusing on Halloween themes.

Marc Kennedy, communications director for WUD, said he is impressed with the level of work the committees have put into the programming for the evening.

"I think it’s just an example of some of the creative ways the directorate puts together programming for students here," Kennedy said.

Green says she is excited to be part of a group that provides safe, enjoyable events to UW students.

"We’ve actually been trying to program during Halloween weekend for about six years, but have been unable to," Green said. "There have just been a lot of concerns about not having adequate police security if they’re all on State Street."