State pays respect to Packers legend

The Wisconsin Legislature announced recently it is taking steps to honor former Green Bay Packers receiver Max McGee, 75, who died Oct. 20 when he fell from the roof of his Deephaven, Minn., home.

McGee is famous for catching the first touchdown pass in Super Bowl history in 1967 against the Kansas City Chiefs. He caught seven passes for 138 yards and two touchdowns over the course of the game.

McGee also played an integral role in developing the Chi-Chi’s restaurant chain and worked as a broadcaster on the Packers Radio Network. With the help of his wife Denise, McGee founded the Max McGee National Research Center for Juvenile Diabetes at the Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee in 1999.

Rep. Karl Van Roy, R-Green Bay, has introduced a resolution honoring the former football player to the Assembly. After being passed in the Assembly today, Rep. James Soletski, D-Green Bay, said the resolution will likely pass through the state Senate. Soletski said the state Legislature often enacts a resolution to commemorate a great Wisconsin athlete.

"When somebody passes away from some of the major sports teams in Wisconsin, someone will offer an amendment," Soletski said.

Soletski added successful teams on all levels — high school through professional — are also honored with amendments.

"They’ll memorialize a high school team that did unusually well," Soletski said. "Also whenever there is a Rose Bowl team. For instance, we did [an amendment] for the UWGB women’s basketball team who did very well this year."

This type of amendment, Soletski added, is easy to pass and does not take up a great deal of time. "It will be done tomorrow," Soletski said. "This will just take a few minutes."

Aside from the thousands of Packers fans who will miss McGee, the resolution may help his family members understand how much their beloved meant to the state of Wisconsin.

"This is nice for the families themselves," Soletski said. "It’s nice for McGee’s family."

McGee was a strong character and will be missed, Soletski said. He was tragically taken early, and will be missed for many years to come.

"Max McGee had a zest for life. Anybody who knew Max McGee just by his exploits on and off the field, and by his comments, knew he had a great sense of humor," Soletski said. "He was just a really likable and lovable person, and I think people will really miss him. It’s very unfortunate the way he passed away [because] it definitely took him early."

The receiver’s football career began as a running back at Tulane University in New Orleans, where McGee was named the nation’s top kick returner in 1953. He finished his professional career with 345 receptions for 6,346 yards. He also earned 306 points by scoring 51 touchdowns.

McGee is survived by his wife, four children and several grandchildren.

— -The Associated Press Contributed contributed to this report.